Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Post Reply
ray
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by ray » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:25 pm

With BCCI finally dropping its opposition to India's anti-doping regulator, the ICC can see a clear path to getting cricket into the Olympics for 2028.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... cc-gatting

A few thoughts on the possibility of cricket's entrance into the Games:
  • It is a strong possibility that IOC does court cricket: The 2nd most popular sport in world, India untapped market for IOC, India/England(Britain)/Australia stand to benefit economically.
  • The best chance for cricket to gain a foothold in North America (with some level of "mainsteam" participation, corporate sponsorship, construction of cricket-friendly stadia)
  • We can unfortunately expect ICC support of USA to continue as they try to make that country competitive for the 2028
  • As an Olympic sport, cricket will be able to tap into national sports funding schemes which were previously inaccessible
  • Cricket will see a rise in popularity in many parts of the globe.
  • This would be a double-edged sword for Canada. On the one hand there will be more interest, more money, better facilities, the prospect of better administration. On the other hand - there will soon be many more competitive cricket nations
  • Problems for West Indies and British "countries" and Ireland to take advantage of the the new order
  • More global interest would mean more calls for meritocracy in the ICC and a move away from the longer formats (Tests and ODIs).

mautan
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by mautan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm

ray wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:25 pm
With BCCI finally dropping its opposition to India's anti-doping regulator, the ICC can see a clear path to getting cricket into the Olympics for 2028.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... cc-gatting

A few thoughts on the possibility of cricket's entrance into the Games:
  • It is a strong possibility that IOC does court cricket: The 2nd most popular sport in world, India untapped market for IOC, India/England(Britain)/Australia stand to benefit economically.
  • The best chance for cricket to gain a foothold in North America (with some level of "mainsteam" participation, corporate sponsorship, construction of cricket-friendly stadia)
  • We can unfortunately expect ICC support of USA to continue as they try to make that country competitive for the 2028
  • As an Olympic sport, cricket will be able to tap into national sports funding schemes which were previously inaccessible
  • Cricket will see a rise in popularity in many parts of the globe.
  • This would be a double-edged sword for Canada. On the one hand there will be more interest, more money, better facilities, the prospect of better administration. On the other hand - there will soon be many more competitive cricket nations
  • Problems for West Indies and British "countries" and Ireland to take advantage of the the new order
  • More global interest would mean more calls for meritocracy in the ICC and a move away from the longer formats (Tests and ODIs).
That would be great news..the biggest difference would be China. I heard in one of the reports that if cricket becomes Olympic sport, it automatically will get a funding north of $25million from Chinese govt!! That is more than what test playing nations gets from ICC, barring top three. That would have huge impact in cricket world if China takes it seriously. Many more will follow..

timmyj51
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by timmyj51 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:10 pm

We'll see. Rugby just finished its first Olympic games and I don't think it got much of a
bounce, at least not here in the states. Long, challenging, road to get a game into the Olympics. Above
all, ICC going to have to sell it to the LA organizers and they've shown no ability whatsoever to
sell their game to Yanks in any form or manner.

mautan
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by mautan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:10 pm
We'll see. Rugby just finished its first Olympic games and I don't think it got much of a
bounce, at least not here in the states. Long, challenging, road to get a game into the Olympics. Above
all, ICC going to have to sell it to the LA organizers and they've shown no ability whatsoever to
sell their game to Yanks in any form or manner.
Who cares about the yanks..let them play baseball.. :D Boston vs New York 'World Championship game' :D :D

timmyj51
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by timmyj51 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Who cares about the yanks..let them play baseball.. :D Boston vs New York 'World Championship game' :D :D
[/quote]


No Yanks on board, no cricket in LA Olympics..PERIOD! ;)

mautan
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by mautan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 am

timmyj51 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm
Who cares about the yanks..let them play baseball.. :D Boston vs New York 'World Championship game'

No Yanks on board, no cricket in LA Olympics..PERIOD! ;)
[/quote]

Just give them a token entry in the competition, they will be happy. Then let the cricket playing countries fight it out for the medal! :D

timmyj51
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by timmyj51 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm

The host country team AUTOMATICALLY gets in. Before anything, gotta persuade organizers to even let cricket
into their games (host organizers have a lot of discretion here). If they don't want it, NO cricket for anyone! :oops:

mautan
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Cricket in the 2028 Olympics (Los Angeles)?

Post by mautan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:28 am

timmyj51 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm
The host country team AUTOMATICALLY gets in. Before anything, gotta persuade organizers to even let cricket
into their games (host organizers have a lot of discretion here). If they don't want it, NO cricket for anyone! :oops:
Wont we surprised if they say no...that has always been my point, no point in barking up the wrong tree. Work only with the converted. Everyone has a lifespan and cannot pander to people who do not want to get involved. Cricket is generally very well followed around the world, yanks or no yanks.

Post Reply