Canada @ 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
mautan

Re: Canada @ 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

Post by mautan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Need of the hour..put your heads down and fight it out. This tournament is ridiculously close. That is why this hurts most. We could have sealed it today. Except, Nigeria, almost anyone can beat anyone. Canada was rightly expected to beat Jersey, but Jersey beat Oman! UAE beat Ireland..

ray

Post by ray » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm

Canada 144/9 vs Oman

After a solid foundation from Weijeyeratne, the team was not able to accelerate. Wickets falling like dominoes in the end. It's runs on the board but the bowlers have a huge ask ahead of them. Again, Dhaliwal not really able to inflict much damage against Oman. His consistency had been quite good up to this tournament but this is another level.

EDIT: Not going any better with the ball. 102/1 in 10 for Oman. Not a contest.

Canada have to regroup for all-or-nothing against the home side (UAE). Canada might be tired after the last of 3 consecutive games but they are not remotely close to the level they have to be. They will likely be playing for 3rd in their group on Sunday.

mautan

Post by mautan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:27 pm

One word. Pathetic.
The batsmen are batting with no cricketing nous. This reflects on the players as as well as coach. I have not lost the trust in the talents, but totally lost trust in the temperament, cricketing smarts and coaching. Three batsman, hitting to the same spot and getting out, when three fielders were patrolling that boundary, was school boys stuff.
Bowling has been so bad, that they are not recognizable from the performance vs Ireland. No words to explainnthe leg side freebies.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:10 am

So Jersey just knocked off Oman, something Canada never looked like being capable.

Canada's path to the playoffs is through UAE. If successful, we face the Netherlands. Lose that and it's a rested Scotland. Not any easy prospects but the only chance is one match at a time and victory over the hosts.

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:34 am

Why oh why would we bowl first and put the under performing batsman under more pressure???? I really hope I am proved wrong but at the moment it seems absolutely suicidal. Similar to the dumb decision to bat first against Nigeria. Oh..

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:12 pm

Obviously, Canada is in the tougher group. Three wins put Jersey in 6th! I think Ray overlooked Hong Kong creaming Nigeria (As did I. I thought an Oman win put Canada in). Who's going to be the hero? And what's going on with PNG? They're winless in the ODI league but they're going to the T20 WQ!

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:21 pm

And for at least the 4th time in recent years, Canada is tied on points but loses on NRR. I think Kirton is a good player but not a T20 game winner guy.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Canada finishes with 3 consecutive losses to again miss the T20 World Cup. I thought going in that the Canadians would need to play at a higher level and in the end they could not. There were a few good performances here and there but against the teams they had to beat, the players mostly underwhelmed. Our match against Nigeria was a good example of the problems. Canada struggled where other teams walked over the newcomers.

The Canadian team want be be professional yet fail to make the most of their chances in competitions that could push them in that direction. One Associate pundit said $0.5M would go the successful 6 teams. After missing out on CWC League 2, this is the 2nd time this year Canada has dropped the ball.

Will the next T20 qualifiers go better? I don't doubt Canada will be there but most likely Zimbabwe, Nepal and USA will too. Hong Kong and UAE will have recovered from the loss of the players. This was out best chance in years but with the same result.

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:24 pm

I wont mince my words. 3-0 in the first three matches, with Ireland and Jersey defeated, Nigeria taken care of, Canada should have comfortably qualified for playoffs. As Jersey showed today, even Oman is not a an unbeatable side. Yes Oman are playing well in the last two years, but nothing in their side suggests greatness. When I look around teams like HK, UAE, PNG, Jersey..I see a lot of heart. PNG today were 19 for 6, and fought back. Our boys showed nil fight to the point of being predictable. The way they batted even against Nigeria, was not acceptable and lesson should have been learnt. These are the same players who were swatting Wahab Riaz, Mcclegahn and Neesham a couple of months back. What happened? Three games in a row, batsman were not able to get on with it. The bowling against Oman, was pathetic. Kirton, Abrash are not there yet. Dhaliwal needs more cricket acuman while batting..
Lots of questions now. I honestly believed this team will be in Australia. First of all get a proper full time international coach and give him powers. Players are good..with no temperament. That is the reason PNG comes back from 19 for 6 and Canada constantly fail from 80 for 2.
Finally..I do expect good things from this side in the next 2-3 years...

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:49 am

Canada will NEVER be internationally competitive with a team of only ex-pats.

LIVE WITH IT! :( :(