Canada @ 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Re: Canada @ 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier

Post by ray » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

^ timmyj lurking in the weeds until Canada is safely eliminated before boldly making his statement :D
Welcome back.

Canadian team has lots of problems. A dependence on players from traditional cricket backgrounds is just one of them.

Oman and UAE are in the playoffs and it would not a surprise to see USA qualify for T20 WC next time. I think Scotland are a team with lots of home-grown players yet the sport is hardly popular there. Up to this point Associates have had on-field success with different approaches to national team make-up.

mautan

Post by mautan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:06 am

I was expecting timmyj back the moment Canada under performs. Racist that he is, he cannot help himself dedicate his energy towards pulling down players of colors. Born in Canada or not.
UAE, Netherlands, Oman, HK, Singapore may all have players who were born out of their country, but Canada cannot! Timmyj, did not I catch you immediately for what you are?
Welcome back. We will be here, supporting our boys. They give us hope and enjoyment, you dont. I will be ok in being disappointed by our boys a hundred times then deal with people like you.
And buddy, I am still waiting for you to define 'mainstream Canadian' :D

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:34 am

ray wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am
^ timmyj lurking in the weeds until Canada is safely eliminated before boldly making his statement :D
Welcome back.

Timmyj's been making this point F-O-R Y-E-A-R-S. Ever since "Team Canada," which had twice been to the WC,
lost its ODI status, can't even qualify for qualifiers, and is now no more than an also-ran.

"Team Canada" has had plenty of opportunities to prove Timmyj wrong. But they haven't, and didn't in this tourney. :!: :!:

ray

Post by ray » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 pm

^ Oh my, timmyj :shock: . My respect for you is diminished. You had been at least consistent in your criticism of teams using "Ex-pats". I can sympathize with that to a degree. Cricket is limited if it never moves beyond players from cricket-playing backgrounds.

However, your apparent lauding of the Netherlands (a team with multiple players from SA, Aus, NZ) is sheer hypocrisy. What, the ex-pats are only unacceptable if they hail from South Asia or the Caribbean? :lol: By the way, cricket will NEVER go anywhere in Holland unless they promote it to actual Dutch. Isn't that your mantra?

Looking like Mautan was correct about your views.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Back to the topic at hand.
Scotland brushed aside UAE to claim a spot at the T20 WC. I see no reason to think Canada would have fared any better against the Netherlands or Scotland. The team will need to sort out the openers and are still looking for a middle order batsman and opening bowlers.

mautan

Post by mautan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Canada..I am not sure what to make of the team sometimes. My mind tells me we were one of the better teams..surely in the top 6. However their performances in the later matches were so inconsistent and almost amateurish that one has to rethink about the so called potential. I still feel we are on the up but the competition now in associates cricket is unbelievable. If we are feeling bad, think about Oman! They are still fighing to qualify after being so consistent over last 2 years!!

On timmyj, I honestly do not like to be harsh, at the same time I am tired of this argument. So for one last time my explanation.
As we all know, there are 8-10 countires that relay almost solely on expats. And they are true expats..only there for cricket. Canada is absolutely unique in that. Canada and its immigrants, refugees, have chosen Canada as their country. They are not what you call a true expat. Expats are mostly temporary. I am immigrant turned Canadian..and I am as Canadian as anybody else. To call me expat would be offensive. Who will I play for??? In a multicultural society, different sports will always be popular with different ethnicities. Basketball, Ice hockey are prime examples. Nothing wrong with that. As long as we have a steady stream of kids born and bought up here making the under 19s, we are on the right track. Having said that, since Canada is a truely immigration based country, unlike say Holland, we will always be privilaged to chose from some new immigrants who arrive from cricket countries. In the past we were overly reliant on ' passport holders', but today we are in a better place. And even with that, one needs to ask why John Davision cannot or should not play for Canada? He was born here..end of topic. To imagine all ethnicities and races to get into cricket is a living in a fantasy world. If people like it, they will play the game. Administration should work towards spreading cricket in schools and universities. But I can almost bet, that even then, most kids will come from the same communities..a la Mulla, Bagai, Surkari, Abrash, Nikhil, Nitesh etc etc. What is wrong in that?? That is where finally the word racism comes in..if you cant see all these truths and talk about 'brown faces' only, you need to call that person out. For me I just want Canada to do well, and qualify for better things. Players qualification to play for Canada will be taken care of by ICC. If they qualify, they will play..for me they are just cricketers playing for their country.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:01 am

"to imagine all ethnicities and races to get into cricket is a [sic] living in a fantasy world."

If that's what you believe, fine...you're also living in a fantasy world if you
think Canada cricket will ever be internationally competitive as just an ethnic sport. LIVE WITH IT!

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm

timmyj, you keep saying 'live with it'. I am totally at peace living with it! Whatever happens, happens. I also believe Canadian team will be strong, whether cricket stays within certain ethnicities or not. Just need a better management. You believe in something else, good for you. Maybe you need a different forum to vent, because you hardly talk or debate on the games that our team plays, neither feel the elation or anguish of the results.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Kumar on two best XI lists.

https://thecricketcauldron.com/2019/11/ ... lifier-xi/

Also emergingcricket.com

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:33 pm

mautan wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:10 pm
timmyj, you keep saying 'live with it'. I am totally at peace living with it!

When Canada keeps losing, year after year, continues to go nowhere in international cricket, while
DIVERSIFIED teams like Scotland, Netherlands, Namibia, PNG, etc., continue to advance, we'll see if you keep
singing this tune. :oops: :oops: