Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
timmyj

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by timmyj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 am

This whole thing seems to be sizing up to be Lauderhill North of the Border.
Everyone who came to Lauderhill said the same thing: "We're here for the long haul.
to build the game up." All were GONE after two seasons. I just don't see the
upside to this. Patronage from the expat community alone can't make this
viable, just as it doesn't in Lauderhill. Are they expecting mainstream
Canucks to warm up to the game? When they've done NOTHING to
attract them to the game?

ray

Post by ray » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Nikhil Dutta is one of Canada's best as shown by his selection in the 7th round of the GT20 draft. However, you have to wonder whether they over-paid for his services.
Dutta, a member of Canada’s men’s national team, was selected in the seventh round for a $25,000 salary, confirming the 23-year old’s reputation as Canada’s top player. He leads a group of 21 Canadian players drafted by the league’s five Canadian franchise teams – Toronto Nationals, Vancouver Knights, Edmonton Royals, Montreal Tigers and Winnipeg Hawks.
https://www.gt20.ca/nikhil-dutta-tops-l ... ers-draft/

Was the requirement for each team to select a U23 Canadian scrapped? I don't see who are supposed to be the U23 can-con on the Winnipeg Hawks and Vancouver Knights. Even the Toronto Nationals look a bit iffy. Hope the teams will bring in some U23s to at least practice with the pros.

Peter Della Penna is tweeting that the GT20 tickets will range between $30 and $250. If true, it will be difficult to sell the upper-end seats. As noted before, are the organizers expecting 7000 GTA fans to repeatedly show up at an inconvenient, family-unfriendly venue for 22 matches?

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:39 pm

I am having a really hard time believing the players have been paid in full, airfares and accommodation arranged and paid, that visas for foreign players can be arranged in time, that the ground will be ready, that permits and all other necessary logistics will be ready, and that this event could sell more than 22000 tickets for the whole 3 weeks (still no way to buy a ticket at the moment). I am certain this event will lose a lot of money, if it goes ahead at all. People hoping to find a TV deal or find franchise owners 3 weeks before an event is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard in cricket. Where is the money to pay for this coming from? Are we certain it exists? A millions dollars prize money? Really? What happens if this goes tits up? The last time international stars came here, they arrived on their own airfares, never got paid or reimbursed and had to sue the organisers, Kat Rose, (who had no money). No one got paid. Players, hotel, stadium, staff - hundreds of people. This forum was the only place people questioned and predicted the disaster before it happened. I simply can’t believe no one has asked, and no article has mentioned the economics of it and where the money is coming from, and how to achieve the logistics (with 3 weeks to go). There are only 200 parking space (on the field) at King City, no public transport. I haven't seen any evidence that points to this working. Just a few Facebook posts with big names.
Last edited by LeScotsman on Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:48 am

I don't believe that these international stars would involve themselves with a tournament that could become a total farce. Wouldn't their management teams check it out? I can't find the article but there was one recently that suggested that all of these T20 leagues lose money but the owners are not losing money - they make it on (legal) gambling. I suspect that that is an angle.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:55 am

I hope and wish that CC will get hundreds of junior cricketers into the grounds. It can lose money and have no one at the games but at least there could be dozens of youngsters there to get a few autographs and grow the game.

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Sydney Morning Herald reporting contracts haven’t been sent yet, no TV rights, no tickets, etc. What have Cricket Canada signed up to? If this turns out bad who is going to be on the hook for it? Claims of $10 million to $20 million invested in this! For real? Is it $10m, or $20 million? That’s a huge difference. Wouldn’t you know for sure? Is the money really in the account? How on earth would you recuperate that and make a profit? You can’t even get an answer if you email about tickets. Less than 20 days to go...

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/sm ... 4zkg4.html

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 pm

ray

Post by ray » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:32 am

The CWI "B" squad has been named: http://cricketwestindies.org/index.php/ ... in-canada/
Anthony Bramble (Captain)
Fabian Allen
Alick Athanaze
Roland Cato
Justin Greaves
Derval Green
Kavem Hodge
Brandon King
Jeremiah Louis
Obed Mcoy
Khary Pierre
Nicholas Pooran
Sherfane Rutherford
Shamar Springer

Announcement also indicates the team is flying out on June 14th so they could be the first set of international cricketers to arrive. I wonder whether any practice matches have been scheduled with the locals.

In the meantime, still no word from organizers on TV contracts, internet streaming or tickets.

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 am

Fantastic! They fly out tomorrow for a 2-week holiday before the start. I do hope work visas have been arranged (in record time), and that they'll be helping sell tickets and TV rights. If you want to buy a franchise, how much does it cost? Asking for a friend..

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am

The article says "the exposure and added development will assist us
with identifying players with potential to developing into international
T20 cricketers." I.e., Windies looking on the Canuck gig as pretty much just a glorified
training session.

Well, Scoty, can pick up a CPL franchise for $100K, so my guess is you
could scoop up one of these Canuck teams with change you find under
your sofa cushion. ;) ;) ;)