Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
mautan

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by mautan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm

Agree on most of the problems..the only silver lining is that the next edition will be a much better planned one, with lessons learned and applied with more time on hand. One major problem will always be..the venue. Is it impossible to convince TCSCC? That is truely beautiful ground and pavilion. If not is there anything similar in the more populated areas of Brampton, Etobicoke and Mississauga? The other thing that will need to be considered are temporary floodlights. Matched starting at 7.30 will have much better crowds after work and will get more viewership in the subcontinent since it will be early to late morning.
And finally the big question...since Merucri is from India, can they somehow get NOC's for Indian players who are currently not contracted?? Somehow??
Biggest issue though to me is the venue. No transportation. No parking. No nearby places to hangout before or after games.
Unfortunately there is another beautiful ground, private, but that is even more out of the way..owned by a Guyanese guy.
Is Sunnybrook park convertable to a 5000 people Stadium?

cricket1

Post by cricket1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:46 pm

Inverhaugh Cricket Club is only 1 hour from Toronto Airport.
It is three minutes to downtown Elora with numerous restaurants, bars, hotels and shops.

Could be a solution for Cricket Canada and maybe the High Performance Centre that Mercuri has suggested.

Inverhaugh is also located close to three Universities [Guelph, Waterloo and Laurier] that have dorms that are available during the summer.

Check out the web site: www.inverhaugh.com

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Well, attendance is EVERTHING! Can put together a big slap bang affiar but
if no one shows up its all for NOTHING! Will see if things pick up.

Czarsportz

Post by Czarsportz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:05 pm

https://czarsportzauto.com/junaid-ali-r ... 20-canada/ on the contrary, USA and Canada players are holding their own so far alongside the bigger names..as far as viewership is concerned, just wait until Nepal's Sandeep Lamichhane takes the filed..it will be 9PM & 2AM Nepal start Times when matches happen, but there will be more than a million fans watching the live stream and on TV..

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:25 am

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:10 am

Just 250 people went to the game yesterday! This is sad.

Richardstone100

Post by Richardstone100 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 pm

Does anyone have advice on getting there from downtown Toronto? I really want to go but can't find any information on transport anywhere. I've been tweeting and emailing Cricket Canada but they're ignoring me.

It's baffling to me that they're promoting this tournament but also ignoring people who express an interest in it.

ray

Post by ray » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Richardstone100 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 pm
Does anyone have advice on getting there from downtown Toronto? I really want to go but can't find any information on transport anywhere. I've been tweeting and emailing Cricket Canada but they're ignoring me.

It's baffling to me that they're promoting this tournament but also ignoring people who express an interest in it.
Very sorry to hear that. Only explanation I can think of is that they are a bit overstretched with running the tournament. However, helping people attend is part of the logistics and should have been planned for.

Looking at the attendance on a sunny Saturday makes we wonder whether there is more at play than just a problematic venue. People somehow managed to attend the 2008 T20 Quadrangular in the thousands, probably at a higher price point in real and inflationary terms. Although there are thousands of cricketers (add multiples for family members) in the GTA, the attendance is in the low hundreds. It seems GTA cricket fans have given a collective shrug to the tournament. Whether the proliferation of T20 leagues on TV has killed interest, or there is a perception that anything less than IPL is below standard, it seems it will take more than an accessible venue to raise attendance.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:42 pm

I had said this Global gig looked like Lauderhill north of the border and
so far the predictions holding true: press conference attended just by foreign
press, no mainstream media; skimpy attendance; deep discounts (at Lauderhill
they gave away tickets on the beach). Maybe things will pick up on the weekends
but with twenty more games can't see sustained turnout. As for 2008: these
were test teams. The Global teams have a few first class players and the rest
associate players.

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:24 pm

Reports of around 700 people today...for two games! This is beyond nightmares for ticket sales.