Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by ray » Tue May 08, 2018 7:17 am

According to the report from the AGM (http://www.canadacricket.com/?p=11412), things are well on their way for the Global T20 Canada to play its inaugural tournament. If it is to start at the end of June, the full details will have to come out soon to allow sufficient time for publicity and sales. It does seem a bit rushed ...

ray

Post by ray » Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Player draft registration announcement from CC: http://gocricketgocanada.com/web/2018/0 ... lobal-t20/
Tournament web site: http://www.gt20.ca
Tournament dates listed as June 28th to July 16th (a Monday?), 2018

Looking at the registration page:
-There are 14 "Reserve Price" entries, so 14 players per team?
-The registrants can select their own price with the understanding that they will be excluded if they price themselves too high ? Is that how it works?
-The reserve prices vary from a minimum of $3K to a maximum of $90K (USD). The total value is $350K. With 6 teams are we talking $2.1M salary budget ?!!

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Where did you get the information on the salaries? Is
any Canuck cricketer out there worth $90K

ray

Post by ray » Fri May 11, 2018 7:37 am

timmyj wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm
Where did you get the information on the salaries? Is
any Canuck cricketer out there worth $90K
Link to the registration page: http://www.gt20.ca/registration/
See the "Reserve Price" dropdown box. I'm not really familiar with how this works - just my best guess.

Clearly the $90K would be for the Shahid Afridi types with the Canadian lads occupying the lower tiers of the salary scale.

This is serious money by North American cricket standards -not for the faint of heart. Mercuri seem committed. I just hope they have overseas broadcasters lined up because the fans in the stands will not bring in the revenue to make back the sum invested.

More guessing on my part:
6 teams in a double round-robin => 10 games/team => 30 matches + 3 playoff matches in 19 days

Will the local fans be repeatedly traveling to King City (it will have to be by shuttle bus because there is next to no parking available) with its poor amenities to watch all these matches?

Edit: More information is revealed on the website. What I thought would be a double round-robin will apparently be a 1st round of 5 matches per team. Hardly seems worth all the effort for the 5 games.
Last edited by ray on Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Fri May 11, 2018 3:23 pm

Still a lot of doubts about this whole thing. The economics just don't add up.
They'll take in next to nothing from ticket sales and I can't see what
broadcaster or sponsor would be interested.

ray

Post by ray » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Some good points raised : http://www.canadacricket.com/?p=11444

As for the choice team names and associations to cities, the move certainly brings into question Mercuri's background in business of sports. The only way it makes sense is if the tournament is being marketed to a foreign audience. What audience that would be, I can't think. If the GT20 is primarily for domestic consumption, not only will the artificial links to Canadian cities fail to garner support from the cricket fans in those places but the marketing gimmick will certainly not help bring out the GTA fans.

I have to agree with the final sentiment in the article: The wisdom of the endeavour aside, if Cricket Canada manage to pull off the logistical side of tournament with all its moving parts, they deserve a tip of the hat. I just hope they got their licensing and organizing fee up front.

ray

Post by ray » Fri May 25, 2018 9:28 am

More details from the official launch:
  • yet more costs revealed: $1M in prize money
  • upto 7000 seats per match
  • ~1500 players registered for the draft
  • a list of 10 marquee players revealed (5 from West Indies)
  • now possibly 16 players/team including 4 Canadians (one Canadian U23 player)

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Sun May 27, 2018 12:34 am

A lot can happen in 5 weeks...

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Mon May 28, 2018 9:58 am

Less than 5 weeks to organise ground, seating, pitches, ticketing system and sales, sponsors, marketing, player contracts, visas, flights from around the world, domestic flights, local transport, hotels, coaching staff, support staff, ground staff, staff training, match officials, permits, utilities, security, insurance, uniforms, equipment, catering, accounting, legal work, financing, hospitality, media, TV rights, teams, schedule, etc, etc, etc, etc, for 22 games of cricket spread over 3 weeks 90 mins north of Toronto. Players salaries would be $2 million. Transport, accommodation and catering $2 million. Other operating costs $1.5-$2 million. And $1 million prize money! TV rights need to be fixed at least 2 years in advance - there is no market for watching North American amateur club players, even with a sprinkling of stars (I have huge doubts these guys will be playing - even if some of them were, what kind of spectacle would it be mixing amateurs with the best in the world?) How many tickets would they have to sell to pay for this? How could it possibly make a return? Even if it turns into just a Canadian club jamboree, watched by 1,000 people, are the extraordinary costs worth it? Who is getting paid what for this?
Last edited by LeScotsman on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:11 am, edited 8 times in total.

ray

Post by ray » Mon May 28, 2018 1:21 pm

... then there are the domestic flights to shuttle the teams between home base (Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal) and Toronto. Now factor in the cost of the Royals franchise relocation from Ottawa to Edmonton. :lol: