Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ds12345

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by ds12345 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Ashit Patel's interview is very careless and very disrespectful to Canadian cricket and professional cricketers representing Canada, in short Ashit Patel is saying that we have only amateurs playing cricket at top level.

It's like telling junior boys to spend time with the seniors in the dressing room.....come on Ashit Patel, our cricketers need exposure in the middle to show case their talent............not exposure in the dressing room.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:26 am

So a good conclusion the the inaugural "Canada Dry Global T20" with one of the "Canadian" teams winning, a Canadian with the match-winning knock and a "sold-out" crowd. Any idea why the final was so well-attended compared to the other matches, on a the day of the World Cup final of all days? Anyway, well done to Saad bin Zafar for performing under pressure when Gayle gave him more responsibility as a bowler and batman.

The crowd numbers must have given Mercuri and Cricket Canada some encouragement and hope for next year but cannot erase the sight of empty stands for the other 21 matches.

Overall the Global T20 Canada somehow came together, ran fairly smoothly and ended on a high note. Probably more than anyone expected. Congratulations to the organizers for pulling it off. The same concerns about sustainability still exist, though. What can they change to draw crowds? More thoughts later ...

mautan

Post by mautan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am

Yes a good conclusion and a perfect example of what good can come through this. Amazingly a Canadian player was man of the match, with others like Nitest and Nikhil dhowing that they are up there in talent terms.
Congratulations and well done to Ashit Patel and his team..it was unbeliveable to pull this off. Many on this forum would have bet against even a single game taking place!
Many improvements are needed and will be done next year. The Mercuri team is in this for long haul and that is the right approach. Some good points from Ashits interview
They undertsand spectator fatigue..even IPL has atmost 7 games in one city with millions of crazy fans. So mercuri will look at other cities for some games..that is good.
They plan to have a shuttle bus to transport people..may help a bit.
The ground will be and should be in a much better condition.

Some of my observations
Spectator comfort- very important to have some roof over the big east stands as it seems unbearable to sit in 35 deg for 3 hour
Any possibility of getting TCSC for some or all matches? You will save a lot on transport and ground prep.
If you want to continue at King city, why not build some permanent basic structure..pavilion, grass banks a couple of stands should not cost a bomb.
Can you get temp floodlights?
Very positive that can eventually be a big motivational factor for canadian youngsters. We saw a few here and many more will put in effort to get selected next year and it can only increase the potential. We did not have anything like that before.

Other than these..great job and keep it up. There are always pessimists who will keep crying about things and not do a thing..it is people like Ashit and mercuri that give hope for future.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am

Finals were certainly the best attended in the tourney but
hardly a sell out. Looked at the highlight video and still saw
fair amount of empty seats, at least in the bleachers. More importantly
WHO were in the stands? Just expats or mainstream Canucks? As I posted earlier,
will Meruri release official attendance figures?

mautan

Post by mautan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am
Timmyj...can we have at least one positive comment from you..about anything?? It really seems you have agenda and are against good things happening with cricket in Canada. Not sure why you bother to comment when you have nothing good to say about anything. People will take you seriously only if you have a balanced opinion.

mautan

Post by mautan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am
Also..who do you consider mainstream? Do you know GTA has 57% population born outside of Canada? There are hundreds of thousands who are 'expats' in your language, but the fact is that they are Canadians. As Canadian as any other born Canadian. How ignorant can one be? Expats...my foot. We are all Canadians.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 pm

I found Ashit Patel to be completely unconvincing about having games in other cities. It sounds like a gleam in someone's eye. It sounds like the ground at King City was really not good enough. How can they get another ground, perhaps on the other side of Toronto somewhere, to be more of a professional standard with the pitch and outfield as well as facilities for professional players and a few thousand people? By next year? Also, we forget that Cricket West Indies helped get this tournament going so what they think of it all matters. I suspect this was partly a market test for a possible CPL franchise. Of course, we don't know anything about TV or streaming revenues (or gambling revenues) and how the investors think they can build on that. We'll all be all over any news and announcements in the next few months!

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:35 pm

I have to also say that I contacted Mercuri Canada about sponsoring a kanga tournament in Victoria. They say they want to develop Canadian cricket. I said these are the future fans of the Vancouver Knights! Nothing yet. Not even an auto-reply. Obviously, I realize that they might not be interested in something so small. We're also trying Canada Dry. Telus does not sponsor amateur sport.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:06 pm

A few thoughts on the future:

I'd suggest a rebrand of the team names to drop the cities (just call them Nationals, Hawks, Royals, etc.) and associate the 5 teams with a region of GTA such as Brampton, Mississauga, Scarborough and such. Involve the local clubs, local media in the lead-up to the tournament. On off days during the tournament, have some events in each community for the associated team.

Increasing the number of Canadians (as I think was the plan) and Associates on the teams would help gain playing experience for our player pool and Mercuri could probably reduce the salary dollars not having to pull in as many FM pros.

I would like to see some selective ticket giveaways and Mercuri subsidize a few T20 matches on major networks (could be tape delayed) to show a wider audience this face of cricket. Unfortunately, if as it seems they are to continue using King City as the exclusive venue for the GT20, it will diminish any good these promotions would achieve.

sarahah

Post by sarahah » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:59 am

While playing for Vancouver Knights against West Indies B Team, Chris Gayle grabbed a stunning one-handed catch at slips in Global T20 Canada to dismiss Kavem Hodge off Fawad Ahmed. Just amazed by his catch. :)