Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
mautan

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by mautan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am

Great job by CC and Mercuri to get to this point! I am sure many on this forum would have bet hundreds of dollars against it if they had been asked 2 months back. The players are here, the ground is almost ready, finally the broadcasters are in place..give credit where it is due.
Now for the issues..CC should quickly wake up and have ticket even cheaper..get kids in at half price, promote it in schools and all community associations, give incentives to groups, promote the league on NY state and NJ or Detroit..I am sure groups of our IT professional will travel for the weekends and take in 4 high quality games. In fact these possibilities make me more optimistic about long term survival of the league. Toronto is surrounded within 5-6 hours driving distance by Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, Waterloo, London, Hamilton, NY state, Montreal etc and these have massive immigrant populations. We are only talking about 7000 capacity..should be possible. Maybe not this year, but next for sure.

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 am

Well, yeah, everyone deserves credit for bringing the whole thing to this point.
But then, give me a few million and I too could put together a cricket event.
Can they turn a profit, THAT'S what nobody's been able to do.

Has it eluded everyone that in a period of about two months there's
gonna be more than a dozen T20 matches in North America (the Canada thing,
then Windies and CPL in Lauderhill in August). Everyone's chasing
after the overrated ex-pat market all at once.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:44 am

What is your point timmyj? You say give me a million and I can do that? Why will anyone give that money. It is their earned money and their efforts, with their risk that they are trying to make this happen. We can sit on our bums the whole life commenting here negativlely..how will that help Canadian cricket? Ask the youngsters in these squads and how they feel about playing alongside Smith and Warner. The organisers are not asking for your money..yo say this is saturated that will not work is very easy. To actually try and do something is creditable. And this is not like those rediculous exhibition matches at Skydome. This is still real cricket. It is tough to get these organized and get all permissions. It seems you just sit and keep finding flaws with everything without doing anything. And this may be a flop show...but still better than us just commenting here. Kudos to all those are involved in trying to bring this to Canada. First Associate country to even get this far organizing a T20 league!

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Hmm..first match done. Not too bad.
Few observations
The ground could be better, should be no excuses for that in Canada.
Matches can start at 5, instead of 4pm.
Wish they had somehow managed to convince Toronto cricket and skating club to host. Would have looked a better spectacle...would get a lot more people too.
Not much of a crowd, as expected. On the positive side, it was okay, not a write off.
Next time they have to have temporary flood lights and play the games at 7.30.
If they can do that at TCSC, it would be a success, without any doubt as the connectivity is so much better.

Anyways, the league at least got started, hope for better days ahead.

Czarsportz

Post by Czarsportz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:16 pm

https://wp.me/p80sfM-3ep Associate member players review from Matchday 1

ray

Global T20 Canada Debut

Post by ray » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 am

Everything with the GT20 has been professional to this point (with minor hiccups) - from the tournament organization to the website and the draft to the TV coverage. An incredible accomplishment in such a short time. The product is quite good as well. Congratulations to Mercuri and Cricket Canada for pulling it off.

However, there is no getting around the fact that there were only a few hundred in the stands - very disappointing for the debut. We'll see whether the long weekend is better but there are still a number of weekday games remaining. Empty stands don't look good for TV broadcasters or to corporate sponsors. Mercuri have gotten things right is putting the tournament together but can they connect with fans? They haven't shown it yet.

Yes, the King City venue is part of the problem. They'll have spend more to get more - a venue that fans can more easily access.

Oh and problems aside, it is nice to see the tournament covered on CricInfo: http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1874 ... anada-2018

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 am

Some changes to the Montreal lineup
https://czarsportzauto.com/ring-of-chan ... 20-canada/

I like the line from 7sports "It's more pasture than pitch". Not nice but, hey, freedom of the press! Smith said good things but Warner didn't even slow down and said some cliche. I like how youngsters can watch the nets (one youth bowled to Warner!). I hope there are some clinics planned for kids.

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am

In terms of a spectacle, a very good game to start. Clearly, the organisers have worked very hard on logistics and deserve great credit for that. A bit of rough around the edges is understandable with such a rushed set up (bizarre that they 'were planning this for 5 years', but waited for the last 5 weeks to organise anything) but they have avoided a real banana skin in terms of logistics for opening day. The missing players may have a very big impact on other parts of the tournament. Edmonton squad seems to be down to 7 players at the moment.

In terms of Canadian players being able to play with stars, this is a dream for them. It's also nice to see Steve Smith unburdened and smiling. The relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere of the event is very welcome.

In terms of financials and marketing, though, you have to say poor. 700-1000 ticket sales on opening day is disastrous, no matter how kind, hopeful, empathetic or generous you are feeling. The organisers appear so stretched they have neglected on marketing. Outside of their Facebook page - which isn’t even running sponsored posts - astonishing - the tournament has been near invisible, bar a couple of print ads in ethnic papers. It's not enough. All the statistics and history show that there is not the market to maintain a pro league in this part of the world, but the fact is, the tournament is going ahead and they need to get as many bums on seats as possible to minimise damage. It would require 14,000 people at the ground to break even. Every game. Never going to happen but you would have hoped more than 1000 people would come out for opening day, which signals a massive failing. That’s a 350,000$-385,000$ loss on day 1. The losses are going to stack up from there. I hope people go see these matches because it will likely be the last time. And I hope the organisers' cash pots are deep so that they can see this through and recover.
Last edited by LeScotsman on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 am

I worry there is a lot of interest in Australia at first because of Smith's and Warner's first games but what about the 2nd and 5th games? I see nothing on the Windies Cricket Facebook but, of course, they haven't played yet. Can we see highlights?

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am

There was promo in local papers targeting the diasporas. More crowds on the long weekend?