BBL changes

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

BBL changes

Post by Victorian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:54 pm

What does everyone think about the playing conditions for the BBL? 4 over powerplay then 2 more overs at the discretion of the batting side. Substitution after 10 overs. Extra point in the standings for being ahead on comparison during the chase.

I hate gimmicks, and don't follow T20, so I don't care much anyway. I like the idea of teams choosing when to use the powerplay, which they used to do in ODIs and T20s. Lots of domestic competitions have extra points in the standings for various stats, especially 1st innings leads. I think I don't like the substitution except at recreational levels where you want everybody to have a game.

ray

Re: BBL changes

Post by ray » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:15 am

T20 is just one big gimmick. With ICC pushing the Americans, I think we can expect many more experiments going forward to try to appeal to that market.

I'm really only interested in GT20 because Canada's short term fortunes are tied to that tournament. They should be wary about changing too much year-to-year as they try to build a "mainstream" audience.

Victorian

Re: BBL changes

Post by Victorian » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:49 pm

I don't think it's only in the USA. It's seen as the future growth everywhere. I still find lots of 1st class cricket on youtube.