Cricket Canada Stadium

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Cricket Canada Stadium

Post by ray » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:42 pm

Brampton mayor wants city to build $35M cricket stadium:
https://www.insauga.com/mayor-patrick-b ... dE1VCNAC3Y

The location is the CCA Centre, the location of the 2019 GT20 Canada. I'm wondering whether Brampton is to bear the full cost or whether there will be any Federal help or from the GT20 organizers. I don't think any assistance can be expected from Ontario premier Doug Ford who ousted mayor Brown as provincial PC party leader :).

Is there much hope of Cricket Canada being able to regularly fill the venue? The GT20 is the only prospective event requiring a stadium with the concern always present the tournament does not return the following year.

ray

Re: Cricket Canada Stadium

Post by ray » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:38 am

Brampton mayor, Patrick Brown, will apparently soon announce his candidacy for the leadership of the federal Conservative party. I see him as a longshot to become leader but win or lose, it might indicate he is done with municipal politics. This is bad news for Cricket Canada and their cricket stadium and possibly the GT20 tournament. Will a new mayor be as supportive of cricket infrastructure? Unlikely. The Brampton council is already divided on spending tens of millions of dollars on a new stadium. Yet, that is what GT20 organizers need to reduce their ground preparation costs. Hope's of Brampton becoming Canada's cricket capital are looking worse.

timmyj51

Re: Cricket Canada Stadium

Post by timmyj51 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:56 pm

Old boy, did ANYONE really believe this stadium fairy tale? ACE just
announced the groundbreaking for their cricket stadium in Grand Prairie
Texas will take place this or next month. We'll see. ;) ;)