Canada @ 2024-6 CWC League 2

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

Re: Canada @ 2024-6 CWC League 2

Post by Victorian » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:52 am

Pretty decent powerplay for Canada 56/2 with the 2nd wicket coming in the 10th over.

ray

Post by ray » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:50 am

Canada with another important win, though a little closer this time and requiring D/L method.

UAE are mixing in 4 and 5 U23 players in their squads. They could maybe field a stronger, more experienced side but are opting to make some change now that will pay off later. Canada may face similar dilemmas in the next couple of years.

A big century from Thaker today. Should help his confidence.

Sana's absence would be a big loss in the final match with Scotland. Hope Bhagwan can rise to the occasion, if necessary.

ray

Post by ray » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:57 am

What is going on with this Canada team :shock: ? They're ... upending good sides.

I really expected a tougher encounter with Scotland the 2nd time around. Instead, another across-the-board solid bowling performance kept the Scots to an even lower total than the previous encounter.

Canada had another shaky start to their innings but again the pair of Harsh Thaker and Nicholas Kirton led the recovery. Credit to Movva too, for staying at the crease when another wicket could have been tricky. Back-to-back centuries and man-of-match for Thaker.

Canada unexpectedly leads the League 2 standings with a start no one dared to dream of. So now a well-earned rest with the next action a T20 WC prep tour to the States against the hosts and UAE in May. It is important practice for their WC debut but maybe also a chance to try a few new players.

Well done, Canada!

ray

Post by ray » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:29 am

USA Cricket announces they will host 5 T20Is against Canada in Houston:
https://usacricket.org/media-release/us ... l-and-may/
An impromptu T20 format Auty Cup, anyone ?
Now is the time to experiment with Canada's lineup.
USA thank ICC in the press release so possibly the world body is putting in some money for this.

Combined with the scheduled T20I series against Canada and UAE in May, the T20 WC encounter in June and the League 2 fixtures in the Netherlands in August, the two North American rivals will be sick of seeing each other by the end of the summer. :D

ray

Post by ray » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 pm

Cricket Canada listing some Canada warm-up matches March 30 and April 1st against "MICL" prior to the USA series and also a Canada A vs Canada B match. Would be nice to see who is playing as an indicator of the up-and-coming talent. Hope the scorecards will be posted.

===============================================
Edit:
One intra-squad (called "Canada selection camp") has already been played in Houston. Canada has evidently brought two full teams worth of players and are putting in the resources to identify their best XI. There is clearly much more financial backing for the nation team to be able to hold such an overseas camp aside from the prior extended tour to HK and Nepal - a pleasant surprise.

Nice to see Jeremy Gordon is in camp. Hope he can return to the form that saw him as one of Canada's top quicks.
Last edited by ray on Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 pm

I hope some games will be streamed!

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:06 am

Whoa! Captain Harsh Thaker! Also Kirton and…Johnson? That surprised me. I’m surprised Wijeyeratne isn’t captaining. I think the ship has sailed for Ravinderpal Singh. Maybe he can power his way into the WC

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 pm

Captain Pargat Singh and wickie Kanwar Tathgur!
My man Johnson MoM.