u19 WC qualifying

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

u19 WC qualifying

Post by Victorian » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:20 am

Next summer sometime there will be an Americas u19 WC qualifying tournament with Argentina, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Canada and USA. In other places in the world there are about to be Div. 2 qualifiers. I wish there was an active Americas Div. 2.

https://www.facebook.com/asso.affi/phot ... =3&theater

ray

2019 U19 WC qualifying

Post by ray » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:41 am

This next Americas U19 qualifier is actually better than we've had for years if that link is accurate. For ages it's been Canada, USA and Bermuda. Wonder what we'll see in this in-between year (2018)? For the past while the gap between qualifications has been filled with Canada/USA/Bermuda U17 tournament and a combined Americas team playing in the West Indies regional U19s.

I hope we'll see the U17s active again this year and CC has just neglected to mention it. Running out of time, though.

timmyj51

Re: u19 WC qualifying

Post by timmyj51 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:11 pm

The U19 qualifier is, and always has been, very unbalanced. The Americas qualifying spot once again is between
just two countries, USA and Canada. The only easier qualifying sport is East Asia where PNG has a virtual
walkover. To make things more competitive ICC should put Hong Kong and Thailand in the East Asia
qualifier and Denmark and Guernsey in the Americas qualifier. Unfair? ICC put USA women's team in
the European qualifier for the Womens WC.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:53 pm

So instead of sending a combined Americas side playing in the CWI U19 Regional (50 over) tournament as in years past, it seems Canada will play.
A bonus for Canada but quite unfair for teams like USA and Bermuda.

I am also surprised that there has not been an Americas Associate tournament in the year between the ICC U19 World Cup Qualifier. It has been played before. ICC Americas seems to get the fewest resources when it comes to training camps, tournaments.
The Windies youth championship comprises two formats, the first being 3 rounds of 3-day cricket, which will then be followed by the 1-day competition. The six regional territories (Barbados, Guyana, Jamaica, Leeward Islands, Trinidad and Tobago, and Windward Islands) will compete in the first format, while the Canadian under 19 team will join the competition for the 2nd half of the tournament.
https://svgcricket.org/windies-u19-cham ... ed-in-svg/

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:15 am

Doesn't this seem a little incoherent? The ICC has seemed to be definitely favouring the USA in the last couple of years and now the Canada u19s are going to the WI and not an Americas team. I really don't like how there's no meritocracy. There should be a Div. 2 tournament with the winners playing in a Div. 1 tournament and the winners going to the WI. It's time for another combine in Indianapolis! I hope the Canada u19 team has players from around the country and I hope that the Canada A teams playing on Labour Day have players from all over with the opportunity to compete for a place on the national team.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:20 am

Don't know how reliable that report is. Wouldn't be surprised if
a combined Americas U19 team ends up in the tourney.