Global T20 Canada 2019

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
mautan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by mautan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:30 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:38 pm
I certainly wouldn't permit a tourney in my backyard that
serves notice it's not at all interested in "exposing the sport" to the mainstream populace.
If I'm gonna allow a sporting event here I'd REQUIRE that event to reach out to ALL Canadians...
not just a small ethnic minority. Apparently CC doesn't see it that way.
With due respect to your passion, and we need more like you, it is not upto us to allow or not allow. People want to spend millions to bring ligh quality cricket to my backyard, why not? So much better than some jokers who arranged so called cricket matches at Rogers centre with all retired cricketers with a 30 yard boundary. This is an ICC santioned tournament and a lot of current world cuppers are playing...cant expect anything better than that..for free as well. I am sure some kids will get inspired. CC will also make some money. And the biggest plus, the Canadian players dont look out of place at all...and please..dont even start about these players coming from other countries. Morgan, Archer won England a WC!
Be happy....and support. The fact is whether you or me support or not, this will take place. And I am happy about it. Do you have any better plans that you are to implement? Like I said before, could not care less if Canadians from mainstream are involved. They dont care about my game, I dont care about their involvement. The show must go on...with or without them

timmyj51
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by timmyj51 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Yup, this gig will go on without involvement of mainstream Canucks, that's for sure.
And so cricket in North America is doomed to be nothing but a minor, insignificant, inconsequential, sport
only played and followed by a small ethnic minority. No other sport on the face of
this planet would accept this status, but cricket does. Revel in your isolation.

mautan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by mautan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm
Yup, this gig will go on without involvement of mainstream Canucks, that's for sure.
And so cricket in North America is doomed to be nothing but a minor, insignificant, inconsequential, sport
only played and followed by a small ethnic minority. No other sport on the face of
this planet would accept this status, but cricket does. Revel in your isolation.
So are Ice Hockey and Baseball in isolation in all the cricket playing countries. Who cares, if one loves a sport, just play it and follow it. Have you been able to convert even one 'mainstream' friend of yours to follow cricket, even remotely? North Americans are very different in attitudes. They will follow golf for days but will look down even on one day cricket, they will be okay with baseball's pace of play, but will find even T20 cricket too slow...as they say you can wake up a sleeping person, but not someone who is pretending to be asleep. Most of mainstream population is the same, close minded. Let them enjoy their 'World Championships' played between New York city and Boston city clubs :D and let us enjoy our beautiful game. In no mood at this age to explain cricket to non believers!

timmyj51
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by timmyj51 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm

This is the cruz of the matter. The expat community just doesn't know, nor cares to know, how to
sell their game to mainstream North Americans. Have worked with many, many, Americans at cricket over the years
and have had no problem at all getting them enthusiastic about the game. In fact, put me in front of any Americans
and after just a short 45 minute game I can guarantee
90% will be asking where they can play, where can they get equipment, and scrambling to pull up cricket highlights
on their smartphones. Have said this for many years: what North American cricket needs are
not impressive resume men (like this new CEO they just hired for USACricket) but marketing experts.

mautan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by mautan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:15 pm

timmyj51 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm
This is the cruz of the matter. The expat community just doesn't know, nor cares to know, how to
sell their game to mainstream North Americans. Have worked with many, many, Americans at cricket over the years
and have had no problem at all getting them enthusiastic about the game. In fact, put me in front of any Americans
and after just a short 45 minute game I can guarantee
90% will be asking where they can play, where can they get equipment, and scrambling to pull up cricket highlights
on their smartphones. Have said this for many years: what North American cricket needs are
not impressive resume men (like this new CEO they just hired for USACricket) but marketing experts.
Unfortunately I have seen zero interest in cricket or even trying to understand what it is. After 22 years here, I could not get one person interested in cricket. So just going to enjoy it the best I can.

ray
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by ray » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 am

^Timeout guys. The original thread is the best place for the discussion : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80

Meanwhile, back at the GT20 there is evidently considerable flexibility in the line-ups. Many of the sides have lost players due to withdrawals. Interestingly, teams don't seem to have to use their initial draftees before tapping into the pool of available Canadian talent. The "Nationals" have chosen to field their full complement of Canadian draftees following the loss of overseas players. On the other hand, "Tigers" have called up Ravindu Gunasekera and "Wolves", Cecil Pervez before putting in their young draftees. It is a bit surprising that "Hawks" have used less experienced bowlers ahead of Romesh Eranga. The latter may have withdrawn.

mautan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by mautan » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:07 am

ray wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 am
^Timeout guys. The original thread is the best place for the discussion : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80

Meanwhile, back at the GT20 there is evidently considerable flexibility in the line-ups. Many of the sides have lost players due to withdrawals. Interestingly, teams don't seem to have to use their initial draftees before tapping into the pool of available Canadian talent. The "Nationals" have chosen to field their full complement of Canadian draftees following the loss of overseas players. On the other hand, "Tigers" have called up Ravindu Gunasekera and "Wolves", Cecil Pervez before putting in their young draftees. It is a bit surprising that "Hawks" have used less experienced bowlers ahead of Romesh Eranga. The latter may have withdrawn.
Didnt Eranga withdraw? I think he has.
By the way the way our Canadian boys are able to hold their own in front of some of the big names, surprises me. Also makes me wonder why Canada is still not in the top 15 nations at least. CC is to be blamed I guess. CC never were good and I do not see any hope for future. Thomas, Cecil, Salman, Saad, Gordon, Nitesh etc all look quite decent.

LeScotsman
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by LeScotsman » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Just back from a game. Very impressive set up. The organizers have done an amazing job getting the stadium set up and the players there. Couldn’t have asked for a tighter game. I wish more fans from the GTA were going to games. There will never be a better chance to see world class cricket on these shores. I think there has been a big shortfall in the paid social media marketing. There were only about 250 people there for the first game. Looked like it was building to about 2,000 for the second game. Compared to games in the UK, or other sports stadiums here, tickets and food were very cheap. If you can, get down there.

ray
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 am

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by ray » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:07 am

They don't seem too interested in the local walk-up crowd, do they?

Anyway, TSN.ca is scheduled to carry today's Tigers/Royals match. No promotion of the match on the TSN site that I can see - more of a throw it out there and see if anyone (that is already aware GT20 is taking place) watches. Hoping for some curious surfers will watch the feed. Of course Cricket Canada has nothing to say. Not the best way to take advantage of promoting cricket but at least it is available on a Canadian web feed. Progress?

Edit: I mention on here that GT20 Canadians drafted are not named by CC website and shortly after this is remedied. Then I say CC makes no mention of GT20 is available on TSN site. Done! What else should I ask for? :lol:

Credit where it's due. If CC do read this site at least they are open to what is said.
Last edited by ray on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mautan
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by mautan » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Agree with all the above points in the last two points. Maybe CC can push the organizers a bit more to do for the local market.
Secondly, if they can have lights and games at 7pm from next year, I am sure there will be further improvement in attendance. Evening games will be nice and relaxing..
All this shuttle thing also tends to put people off.
Unforrunately we will have to live with the reality of India and Indian market screwing up cricket everywhere. Including a shorter WC...so I guess if an Indian company comes to our shores, gives is top class cricket, shows the game to our kids, gives money to CC, keep Canadas name on the cricket map, provides exposure to our cricketers etc etc...we should just embrace it. Yes, while doing it, we (CC) should propably negotiate whatever they can for more exposure to the game here. Because the fact is the organizers can just pack and take the circus to Scotland or Malaysia or any country they fancy..and what good would that be for us anyways...

Post Reply