ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Canada chose to bat. I suppose the plan is to get an insurmountable total. Remember Canada got the Danes all out for 66 in 17.? overs. I predict Canada 340.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 am

A run a ball. I don't see Denmark getting that. A couple of absolutely brutal runouts. These guys look like they play on my team!

ray

Post by ray » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:27 am

Solid (overall) win against Denmark (who we must thank for knocking back Qatar). It leaves Canada one win away from a 5-0 start and a comfortable 4 point lead in the Challenge League 'A' table. I expect they will complete the job against Singapore tomorrow but hope Canada are pushed a little. The team definitely needs to be pushed to work on their weaknesses.

Apart from the run outs there was a good distribution of runs from the batsmen with the two youngest making important contributions, particularly List 'A' debutant, Abraash Khan.

I expected a bit more from the home side but Malaysia are all but out of the running after a terrible loss to Vanuatu. That coupled with Denmark's win over Qatar leaves only 3 (maybe 4) teams realistically left in contention for the playoff spot.
Bertus de Jong's graphic gives a good picture of the new qualifying structure and where things stand: https://twitter.com/BdJcricket/status/1 ... 0238289920. It will likely be updated as tournaments are played.

mautan

Post by mautan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Excellent win! Keep going boys. While I dont disagree with being pushed a bit might help, I also feel the team or any team, needs to build that super confidence of winning and winning well. For the first time in our history, we may have a team that can continue doing that in the next rounds as well. Ofcouse things will get tougher, but it is all a mental game. On the other side being pushed hard by one of these teams may also create doubts in minds. With those doubts, suddenly even Nepal starts looking like a Scotland..

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:57 pm

Interesting...Canada decided to field.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:03 am

Yes Canada being pushed. Pervez removed from the attack. I'm not clear why. Way too many wides. Tariq with a couple of terrific catches.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:42 am

Abraash with the 5for but expensive in doing so. Still, Canada can get 5/over. Singapore blew it late. Arjun out then Surendran probably should have tried to stay around but was caught soon after. I guess Pervez was sent off for a few overs under Law 42? Or running on the pitch? He returned to the field.

ray

Post by ray » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 am

Well, Canada were pushed ... and did not cope with the pressure. Singapore showing that beating Nepal in Asian T20 regional qualifiers was no accident. If memory serves, Canada lost to Singapore at WCL3 in 2017 as well. Now, they will have a tougher fight to finish 1st in Challenge League 'A'. Perhaps in the longer run this will help them improve but for now it means they have to regroup quickly for T20 WC Qualifier.

Dhaliwal and Heyliger must be injured not to play in such an important match. The bin Zafar and Singh wickets with the score on 120 won it for Singapore. Well done to Abraash Khan for a decent 33 and 5-for in a losing cause.
Last edited by ray on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 am

Wish granted to be pushed. I have said this before, the teams now are a lot closer than 5 years back. It has been a combination of Canada playing very well and the others not playing to potential. However the task on hand is completed..so congratulations to the team.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:35 am

Are the points getting carried over? Any idea how it works?