Global T20 Canada

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
LeScotsman

Re: Global T20 Canada

Post by LeScotsman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:32 pm

It could be like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where 5 golden tickets have been hidden inside 5 copies of Wisden Cricket Monthly. Do you think the million-dollar prize will be for one of those lucky spectators? ‘Congratulations! I hand over this tournament and its debts to you, young Timmy!’

ray

Post by ray » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Had to laugh at this on Twitter:

@GT20Canada: 14 days to go. Are you ready? #GT20Canada

@BdJcricket: Are you?

Not much substantive news this week out of GT20 Canada - Just the announcement of second-string CWI side and the release of the tournament schedule (featuring 4 teams with no links to the cities they represent). No news cannot be good news.

cricket1

Post by cricket1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:54 am

How do you buy the tickets ?

JSMunn
Site Admin

Post by JSMunn » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:51 am

Tickets now on sale via the web site- $30 for single game, which seems reasonable.
https://tickets.gt20.ca/

ray

Post by ray » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:49 pm

Tickets:
Single weekday game: $30-$100
Weekend Double-header: $50-$150
Semi-final: $30-$150
Final: $40-$200

"Season" Pass: $475, $795, $1,550

VIP Owners' Box $1,000
VIP Corporate Box: $22,124 (20 People)

Indeed, the bleacher seats appear to be reasonably-priced. However, the stands would have to be close to full to break even. There is no precedent for such fan support for cricket in Canada.

Edit: Still wondering how spectators are going to get to MLCC in King City. Has something been organized or are they being left to their own devices? Could be mass confusion on game day if the latter.
Last edited by ray on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 pm

They’d have to sell more than 13,500 tickets per game for 22 games to break even, with a max capacity of 7,000. The economics of this are very silly. If the sun shines, they might get 10,000 on the holiday weekend, and maybe 7,000 for the final. But it won’t be enough. If you put $7million dollars in the middle of the field and set fire to it, you’d be richer.

timmyj

Post by timmyj » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 am

Well, according to the agreement, CC will get a cool half mil no matter what.
This agreement is supposed to be for 25 years. Does that mean CC has given
away its rights to international cricket for that long???

mautan

Post by mautan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:31 pm

With ICC working mostly for the big 3 or 4 countries, there is nothing wrong with giving away rights for 25 years in return for incremental returns. And although I see a whole lot of concern and negative attitude here, the fact is that most people would not have given Cricket Canada even a 10% chance of even being where they are today with this league! Having said that the biggest negative I see is that they do not have a TV agreement in place. Once that happens, whether this year or from next year, breaking even with all this starcast would be super easy. TV agreements are worth in millions and there is apetite for T20 leagues. I have had many people asking about the league from India.
CA will just need to ensure the player pay packets do not keep increasing. Otherwisw good job of coming to this point atleast. Or look at South Africa..could not even get it off the ground even with all the infrastructure, ICC support, players, sponsers and what not. I know everything about CA in the last 20 years..but you still have to give people a chance and keep a open mind!

ray

Post by ray » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 am

^ No doubt - credit to all involved if the tournament gets underway as scheduled and even more if it runs to completion. Certainly no small accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong. I wish Mercuri and Cricket Canada the best in this venture. For Mercuri it is extremely brave or foolhardy and likely both to put down that kind money in an unproven market. And for CC, there is no other funding on the table so they needed to take this opportunity.

An overseas TV contract is what will make or break GT20 Canada and will be key to getting corporate sponsorship. However, fans in the stands have a big role to play in making the product watchable. We'll have to see whether GTA cricket fans are willing to travel to King City (probably several times) to fill the seats. This would be the first example of a pro T20 tournament longer that a week's duration to draw its paid customers from a single area. You can understand the skepticism.

I worry for the organizers after the novelty of the first weekend wears off. Will they have to paper the house by the second week? I hope there is news of a contract with a largish overseas broadcaster soon, but the clock is ticking.

Oh, nice! Fifty up. :D

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Agree.
I really hope CC builds a small ground with basic facilities around Mississuaga and Brampton. Lets face it..that is where thousands of Indians, Pakistanis and West indians live. It will not be hard to get people after work to come and watch high standard cricket. Especially if it is in their backyard. Will they travel to king city..unlikely. it is not like king city ground has a stadium anyways. Get cricket where there are immigrants on thousands! I personally do not care if born and broughtup Canadians care about cricket. In Canada we probably do not need that. We have probably a million cricket followers anyways in Canada.
CC just needs to be smarter. Get a TV contract cap the payments to players, have family prices and half prices for kids etc and get the games moved to Mississauga or Brampton..we can then get people from Molton, Etobicoke, downtown or even some from kichener waterloo. King city is in the middle of nowhere.