Euro T20 Slam

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Euro T20 Slam

Post by ray » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Owned by the same group as Global T20 Canada, comparisons will doubtless abound.
  • 6 teams (Amsterdam Knights, Rotterdam Rhino, Belfast Titans, Dublin Chiefs, Glascow Giants, Edinburgh Rocks)
  • 33 matches over 24 days
  • Squad size:16; Min 9 domestic/max 7 overseas players; No requirement for overseas Associates
  • Playing XI: Max 5 overseas, Min 6 domestic
  • Salary scale: Icons $135K; Marquee $115K; Other overseas $80K, $65K, $50K, $35K, $20K ; Domestic $35K, $20K, $10K
Last edited by ray on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ray

Re: Euro T20 Slam

Post by ray » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Emerging cricket Twitter reporting that Canada's Saad bin Zafar was the only overseas Associate selected (Amsterdam Knights) in the inaugural draft.
An unexpected choice but best of luck to him.

ray

Post by ray » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... eks-notice

Euro T20 Slam is dead. It leaves in its wake unpaid/unhappy players, boards, contractors, patrons. Bombay Sports Limited's reputation could be gravely damaged as well leaving GT20 in serious jeopardy.

The immediate point of comparison between Euro T20 Slam and Global T20 Canada is costs associated with 3 venues are must greater than for one. The USA T20 tournament might do well to keep that in mind.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:21 am

ray wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 am
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... eks-notice

Euro T20 Slam is dead. It leaves in its wake unpaid/unhappy players, boards, contractors, patrons. Bombay Sports Limited's reputation could be gravely damaged as well leaving GT20 in serious jeopardy.

The immediate point of comparison between Euro T20 Slam and Global T20 Canada is costs associated with 3 venues are must greater than for one. The USA T20 tournament might do well to keep that in mind.
My first thought was, what does that do or mean to GT20 Canada. Although the noises that we hear say that it is postponed, and not cancelled, lets see. They say it will surely happen in 2020. I do feel that more than Canada, that tournament has a lot more chances of being successful. Better grounds, a lot of first class players available, much much better cricket boards than CC, probably more sponsers, better time zone for India etc etc. So I doubt it will die, if nothing I am sure someone else will pick up the same framework and run with it.

ray

Post by ray » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Actually, I thought Euro T20 Slam was the bigger challenge to run with 3 boards to deal with/pay, 3 venues to set-up, travel. It's a big step up from the single location in Canada.

I also wondered whether the Dutch would have the audience to support it. Do they have enough support for cricket among immigrants and locals combined. Would have been interesting to see how it did in Amsterdam, the make-up of the crowd and whether it would be a model for promoting GT20. I'm not sure but I think cricket enjoys similar (low) levels of popularity in both Canada and the Netherlands among locals.

As for the tournament's future, it doesn't look good. It will have turned off many top players (with possible spill-over to GT20) who will look to CPL next year. As you say, let's see.