Global T20 Canada 2019

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Re: Global T20 Canada 2019

Post by ray » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:07 am

LeScotsman wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Reports that players refusing to get on the bus this morning until the get paid. Match in 20 mins. Oh, gawd. If this falls apart, the fallout will be huge. Any word?

Update...at 12.35pm... toss delayed... oh, god. Anything happening on TSN?
I was there, unfortunately. Had to wait 2 hours for the match to start. After the match the buses back to the parking had stopped running because the schedule had been thrown off by the delay. If not for a lone conscientious driver dozens of fans could have been left stuck at the ground.

Otherwise, it was a good day at the cricket. Glad I was able to see it. Pity if it comes to an end but there were concerns all along about the viability.

What were Bombay Sports Ltd thinking starting EuroSlam T20 if GT20 was not looking viable?

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:49 am

ray wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:07 am
LeScotsman wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:21 pm
Reports that players refusing to get on the bus this morning until the get paid. Match in 20 mins. Oh, gawd. If this falls apart, the fallout will be huge. Any word?

Update...at 12.35pm... toss delayed... oh, god. Anything happening on TSN?
I was there, unfortunately. Had to wait 2 hours for the match to start. After the match the buses back to the parking had stopped running because the schedule had been thrown off by the delay. If not for a lone conscientious driver dozens of fans could have been left stuck at the ground.

Otherwise, it was a good day at the cricket. Glad I was able to see it. Pity if it comes to an end but there were concerns all along about the viability.

What were Bombay Sports Ltd thinking starting EuroSlam T20 if GT20 was not looking viable?
That was bad...hope the organizers dont screw up things after a much better and promising league this year. They need to take care of people here first, even if the money comes from India. Player payments or non payments looks pretty bad on them. Hope it was a one off.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:57 am

timmyj51 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 pm
Just bring two mainstream (non cricket) Canadians with you to the next match, mautan...if you have
two mainstream Canadian friends.
Hey timmyj51.. still waiting for you to define 'mainstream Canadian'. :roll:
Only then can I tell you if I have two friends. You have started to smell racist now... quite a fall in a few days from your image as just another cricket fan, isnt it?

ray

Post by ray » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am

THE catch made the TSN highlight package this morning. Nice. There is some quality in this tournament. Too bad more people aren't aware or aren't being made aware of what is happening in Brampton.

https://twitter.com/GT20Canada/status/1 ... 6444064768
The young man's reaction makes the play that much better :D .

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm

ray wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:57 am
THE catch made the TSN highlight package this morning. Nice. There is some quality in this tournament. Too bad more people aren't aware or aren't being made aware of what is happening in Brampton.

https://twitter.com/GT20Canada/status/1 ... 6444064768
The young man's reaction makes the play that much better :D .
Yes the tournament made some inroads for sure. Lot of room for improvement though. Size of the ground is almost ridiculous. More awareness in the communities, more promotional events and free passes etc. Parking should be better..
Overall happy this took place, however feel sad for the organizers that the two GTA teams did not make it to the finals. Yuvraj and Afridi would have garanteed a full house..which the organizers deserved after all the efforts!

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:29 pm

What a final and what a great show by local boys! Kaleem Sana stopped Andre Russell! How many bowlers can do that?
Like what Winnipeg coach Lalchand Rajput said, the IPL took Indian players to another level and this tournament with 4-5 locals boys in each team, will do the same for Canadian team in the long run. I won't be surprised if we see some results very soon.
Hope this continues and works for Canadian cricket. The next step is to get a stadium...even a 5-8 thousand stadium with proper boundries will do.
Frankly speaking I did not know Canadian team has so much talent...now up to CC to make use of all these opportunities and work with someone like Gurpreet Singh.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 pm

So was that final the best advertisement for the sport in Canada ever? In terms of excitement, availability on a major network and crowd size it might be unparalleled. I hope TSN got the broadcast audience and online viewership they expected and will want to keep GT20 Canada for next year.

Yes Mautan, Kaleem Sana's final over (both of them ;) ) were a huge ask and he managed to restrict Russel just enough to make victory possible. Though he is not a Canadian-developed player, he might have a big future for his new country. There were other important performances from Canadians Pathan and Ghani and Tariq. Let us hope the tournament continues on into the future so that more Canadians can show their abilities.

mautan

Post by mautan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:30 am

ray wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 pm
So was that final the best advertisement for the sport in Canada ever? In terms of excitement, availability on a major network and crowd size it might be unparalleled. I hope TSN got the broadcast audience and online viewership they expected and will want to keep GT20 Canada for next year.

Yes Mautan, Kaleem Sana's final over (both of them ;) ) were a huge ask and he managed to restrict Russel just enough to make victory possible. Though he is not a Canadian-developed player, he might have a big future for his new country. There were other important performances from Canadians Pathan and Ghani and Tariq. Let us hope the tournament continues on into the future so that more Canadians can show their abilities.
Correct..he is not Canadian developed player, unforrunately we will need to carry on with first generation players making a big chunck of the team for some time. But I am positive that if these initiatives continue, we will see some young ones coming through. Already most of our under 19s are developed here.
Also unlike almost any other country, Canada is 100%(almost) immigrant country, with people or their forefathers having migrated here at some point in time. So sometimes I feel a Canadian team will always reflect that, more than other nations. How many cities in the world, of 5 million population or more, can say that more than half of there population was born outside of that country? So no harm in cricket team reflecting that. Sports that have been here for 100 years and who get boosted by American money and market, will have more people playing them, but that is just because their dads and moms or their grandparents played those sports and passed it on. Cricket does not have that advantage but with the makeup of population the way it is, no harm in having people who migrated here and born somewhere else represent Canada. They too are Canadians, as was Watne Gretzky's forefathers once! Who knows we may have the great grandchild of Kaleem Sana lifting a cricket WC for Canada in 75 years :D :D :D

ray

The numbers

Post by ray » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:14 pm

The 2019 edition of GT20 featured 24 Canadians making a total of 117 appearances (not counting the 3 matches that were not completed). This compares to 14 making 37 appearances in the inaugural event. Of course, there was an extra local team this year with Brampton Wolves replacing West Indies B. Nevertheless, that makes average of 6.15 Canadians appearing in each match in year two - well above the 4 that were required under the regulations. So no problem going to a minimum of 3 Canadians in the playing XI for 2020.

mautan

Re: The numbers

Post by mautan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 am

ray wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:14 pm
The 2019 edition of GT20 featured 24 Canadians making a total of 117 appearances (not counting the 3 matches that were not completed). This compares to 14 making 37 appearances in the inaugural event. Of course, there was an extra local team this year with Brampton Wolves replacing West Indies B. Nevertheless, that makes average of 6.15 Canadians appearing in each match in year two - well above the 4 that were required under the regulations. So no problem going to a minimum of 3 Canadians in the playing XI for 2020.
Good point. Feel happy for the 24 that got an opportunity. That also shows that there is some depth in the talent pool.