WT20 Qualifier

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
mautan

Re: WT20 Qualifier

Post by mautan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:30 am

Victorian wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 am
I think England even has plans or at least puts a lot of thought into reaching out to their asian population. With huge drops in participation they'll have to.
And the asian population is interested in cricket anyways..so it is far easier to tie some loose ends and get them more involved. It is an easy sell.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:44 pm

The way I see it...

Can 5 points
Ber 5
USA 2
CI 0

Can beats CI and Ber and they're through.
Ber beats CI and they're on 7.
USA beats CI and Ber they're on 6 and need to beat Can.
CI are out.

Obviously NRR might come into play.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Important win for Canada with match-winning knock from the new captain. The expectation is for a win tomorrow against Caymans so they'll want no further rain interventions.

NRR would only come into play between Canada and Bermuda unless there is another weather disruption.

I'll say it again - it's funny how quickly the Cricket Canada website gets updated when there is good news.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am

0-2??? I'm gonna say they shouldn't select Cheema anymore. He gets out for very low totals too often.

ray

Post by ray » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Victorian wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am
0-2??? I'm gonna say they shouldn't select Cheema anymore. He gets out for very low totals too often.
I'd say you're right. That's two ducks against Cayman Islands. The competition is not going to get easier at the T20 global qualifier. Bhavindu Adhihetty might be a replacement for Rizwan.

Rodrigo Thomas is still new in the role so he deserves some leeway but he hasn't had a great start with Canada in 50 over or T20, either.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:47 pm

ray wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:27 pm
Victorian wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 am
I'd say you're right. That's two ducks against Cayman Islands. The competition is not going to get easier at the T20 global qualifier. Bhavindu Adhihetty might be a replacement for Rizwan.

Rodrigo Thomas is still new in the role so he deserves some leeway but he hasn't had a great start with Canada in 50 over or T20, either.
Thomas has to get a long run..he is very good and will be a force in this format. Cheema on the other hand, after that 4 nation tournament back in 2008, started batting with zero respect for bowlers. That never works in cricket. He has to go now..based on the GT20, we will find 2-3 better than him. He went his idol, Afridis way. No brain used at all.
Again a good win against Caymans. No matter the opposition, the job needs to be done. Now a days cricket is extremely competitive between the teams ranked 11-24..wwhy that, even India almost lost to HK, Eng lost to Scot etc.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Oh Holy Cow! Did not see that coming! To me, this is an epic fail for USA (AND ICC 8-) 8-)). Canada definitely should play an inexperienced side to develop for the future or does winning the tournament mean financial bonuses?

ray

Post by ray » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:51 pm

^ True. A bit of a bonus to see the USA crash out so early and allow Canada to play Abraash Khan and Harsh Thaker. We have to get them into the mix in the final two matches.

USA were perhaps too quick to think they could dispense with Dassanayake. Hard to think this is the side that got ODI status with a game to spare at WCL2. (Don't worry, USA. The qualifications for the 2021 T20 World Cup must be coming soon).

Did CC have a different understanding of the tournament than we did? They are saying the victory over Cayman Islands assured Canada of a top two finish. That doesn't seem to jive with a scenario of USA winning their last 3, Bermuda their last two and Canada losing their last two. Thankfully, CC don't have to retract.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm

So Canada finish the Americas qualifier undefeated. They'll still need to step it up a notch to contend in UAE. The squad is pretty much set but we might expect to see the youngsters Khan and Thaker replaced for the World T20 Qualifier in October. Who to bring into the team?
Will there be a CricketFest this year to give game time and high level experience to national T20 player pool?

mautan

Post by mautan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:17 am

ray wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm
So Canada finish the Americas qualifier undefeated. They'll still need to step it up a notch to contend in UAE. The squad is pretty much set but we might expect to see the youngsters Khan and Thaker replaced for the World T20 Qualifier in October. Who to bring into the team?
Will there be a CricketFest this year to give game time and high level experience to national T20 player pool?
Well done to the Canadian boys..clinical. it will surely be a lot tougher in UAE with quality opposition. However, I feel, somewhere the boys will never be overawed going forward after the GT20. It is all a mental game at this level, and that is where these high standard leagues help..the way it helped India unearth so many players since 2008. Lets hope for the best..
I dont think they will replace the youngsters..need them to start creating some bench strength. We have enough experience in the squad, so need a bit of new blood.