ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League

Post by ray » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 am

^ No, I don't think the link to the Canada/Denmark match above is fake. Maybe the match had not started when you checked? It seems to look a reasonable scorecard to me.

Seems as though the match was reduced to 25 overs. Not sure whether "Khan Khan" (Abraash Khan?) and S Wiyerjaratne retired hurt or just both deliberately retired to give others a bat. Otherwise, looks to be what you'd expect from a Canadian team playing their first 50 over match of a foreign tour. They'll have to play themselves into form quickly, though.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:27 am

I wrote "fake" out of frustration and fatigue. It now seems likely that the start was greatly delayed. Canada did alright for 25 overs but will get more acclimatized. The Malaysia XI must have been a real development team. Good move by Malaysia cricket.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Canada won the toss and will have a bowl. Figuring to get them all out pretty quickly, I suppose.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 am

I was hoping Canada would get them all out much earlier but I should wake up to some good news. Too many wides. Is that haze smog? OMG!

ray

Post by ray » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:23 am

This was a good win against Vanuatu. It provided enough of a challenge that the bowlers and batsmen had to do some work. Obviously, there is room for improvement. Not sure how Rodriogo Thomas, already off to a poor start internationally, is not more cautious to start the innings. Kumar needs to be making runs against this level of opposition. Fortunately, Navneet Dhaliwal again provided a solid base for the run chase.

Interesting to see other results. I would have thought Singapore and Malaysia would provide the biggest challenge to Canada. After 3 matches, Qatar has perhaps caused the first upset.

The home team is up next for Canada.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:33 am

54/4! Glad I went to bed. Overall, a disappointing scorecard. Dhaliwal continues and Ravi Singh also. Saad bin Zafar is a stud. Heyliger's stats look better because he cleaned up a couple of tail-enders. I wonder if Canada's bowling will generally be too strong for the opposition.

mautan

Post by mautan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:48 am

Good start, points on board matter. This team is a good one and should improve as they go. Yes, guys like Nitesh should be feasting on these teams after being involved in international cricket, including a WC, for almost 10 years! No excuses for that. He is not even big stokeplayer who can have a bad patch going for big shots. No buckle down Nitesh..need more from you.
Thomas...hmm. Should come good soon. He a terrific player. One thing I have seen in the last year or so is that the competition and level of cricket is very close and no games are easy. Hope. ICC soon realizes this and makes WCs 14-16 teams..even more for T20. But will not count on it.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm

A thing about Kumar's game...he took the wicket of their top scorer, had an economy of 2.00 and took two catches and scored 12 so overall a good contribution.

mautan

Post by mautan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Victorian wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm
A thing about Kumar's game...he took the wicket of their top scorer, had an economy of 2.00 and took two catches and scored 12 so overall a good contribution.
Sure...but need more domination with bat now.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Watch the game on the Malaysia cricket FB.