For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup Challenge League

Post by Victorian » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm predicting 250 for Canada.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 am

Wonderful performance by the boys! Way to go..
Thats what I meant about Nitesh, when I said we need some domination with the bat. This team was always capable of doing that. It is all about confidence and mindset. Now just hope they do not become complacent.
Need to concentrate on the next one. Great job Navneet, Thomas, Nitesh, Ravi...keep going!

ray

Post by ray » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:21 am

^ 250? I think we all got a pleasant surprise this morning, Victorian.

It's great to see Canada breakout and dominate a team at this level. Thomas was overdue and finally showed his ability. Nitish had a good all-round game. If he could only show that more often he would be help lift the team to the next level. Ravinderpal Singh is off a great start for Canada. Interested to see what he can do against stronger competition.

The matchup with Qatar should determine which nation emerges from the Malaysian leg with the lead in Challenge League A. Canada's batting should be able to overhaul any opponent's total in the tournament if they don't bat rashly.

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:19 am

ray wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:21 am
^ 250? I think we all got a pleasant surprise this morning, Victorian.

It's great to see Canada breakout and dominate a team at this level. Thomas was overdue and finally showed his ability. Nitish had a good all-round game. If he could only show that more often he would be help lift the team to the next level. Ravinderpal Singh is off a great start for Canada. Interested to see what he can do against stronger competition.

The matchup with Qatar should determine which nation emerges from the Malaysian leg with the lead in Challenge League A. Canada's batting should be able to overhaul any opponent's total in the tournament if they don't bat rashly.
What is the format? Is it pnly one team going to the next stage?

mautan

Post by mautan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:32 am

Got the answer..
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... jor-revamp

ICC in order to have 9 India matches in a WC, have made it borderline impossible for other countries. This greed and selfishness of ICC and BCCI, has made people like me follow emerging cricket more than the top 4-5 countries. I truely believe that with equalized (to some extent) pay opportunities to associates, there are enough countries where cricket will thrive. But who will bell the cat?

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Canada having a bat. I predict 300.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:23 pm

Qatar restricted Malaysia to fewer runs than Canada did.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:10 am

Qatar's fielding is poor. At least 10-12 extra runs in the first 30 overs and, I think, a drop ( out of camera).
Edit: At least 20 extra runs and two drops.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Canada doing what they have to do. No real challenges to them so far. Congrats to Kumar for his century and 5-for and Wijeyeratne for his 112.

The Persian Gulf region appears to be making the most progress on the Associate ladder. UAE have established themselves in the upper echelon and Oman have recently vaulted past the likes of Canada. Qatar is the latest, showing a good performance in the Asian T20 qualifiers and now look to be the best Challenge League 'A' participant after Canada.

mautan

Post by mautan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Good performance again. Yes, agree with above post that there is a gap in skills, however Qatar has performed decently in the recent past and all credit to Canada for being professional till now. These players go through lot of sacrifice for the love of the game only in order to play for the country, and when they do perform it feels good. The nay sayers like timmyj51 will be absent to just say a 'well played'. But will jump with comments after comments, if anything goes wrong. That is why, it is important to keep encouraging these guys. I had hopes after the performances in the GT20, and till now they have showed in Bermuda and Malaysia how the confidence has gone up. Just hope they keep going.
Yes, going forward it will get tough. However, even in the next stage, I don't see why Canada cannot be in the top two making the next round. Namibia, USA, P&G, Nepal are all beatable. So keep the hopes high.
T20 might be tougher next month, but we have nothing to lose.
Special note...Well done to Nitesh, after I said he should now be dominating at this level, he has done just that in the last two matches. That is what was expected from him.