Interviews of CC Board, Players, etc.

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Re: Interviews of CC Board, Players, etc.

Post by ray » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:22 am

JSMunn wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:44 pm
We all owe a debt of thanks to Ray for summarizing these interviews for us- much appreciated.
My pleasure. It is nice to finally have some information even if it is one person's views. So thank you to SportsTrends and Devesh Shankar for these interviews.

I hope others listen, come to their own conclusions and begin asking questions of Cricket Canada. The organization will work better when more people take an interest in its work.

JSMunn
Site Admin

Post by JSMunn » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:10 am

Some good points here; there's been as far as I know little progress in developing cricket coaching as part of the NCCP programme since Zubin Surkari left CC. He did have a community coach level in place, and there are qualified learning facilitators in a few places. There's no means of getting certified at the next level that I know of as the cricket module has not been completed (coaching in Canada is coordinated under the NCCP programme for all sports).

There is as far as I know no committee or group at national level dealing with certification of umpires and scorers; I believe there were competing organizations representing umpires
http://www.ccua.ca/ - who affiliate with the West Indies umpires association, but I do not believe that this group is recognised by CC as the lead organization for umpiring. Maybe someone more knowledgable in regard to the state of umpiring in Canada can come forward.
I am closely involved with officiating in soccer, and there Canada Soccer takes a strong, central coordinating role in developing and training officials, with full time staff members. It is an excellent programme that has consistently produced referees who are assigned to the highest levels of the game- we've had Canadians at many World Cups.

Cricket development depends on coaches and officials; these aspects seem to be low priority for Cricket Canada at present

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 pm

Re: Saini's interview from Jan.12

It seems that the perfect is the enemy of the good. CC needs to do this and that and this and that and this and that and it would cost two million dollars. CC doesn't have two million dollars. OK. But if players need more high quality competition domestically, more could be done there. If there is not enough infrastructure, steps could be taken incrementally to improve that. It's not to try to make everybody happy. It's to slowly, generally, move the game forward at all levels and genders.

I don't understand why Canada could not host (or visit) the USA without a good third team there. A bi lateral series ie Auty Cup.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:00 pm

Did he say there will be a 1st class league in 3-4 years? Unlimited overs? I hope so but...why? I think he means that player skills will improve and he's probably right but no Associate has played a multi day game in two years. (Nepal did against MCC). Let's go for a 50 over domestic league first.

ray

Post by ray » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:44 pm

I agree. Cricket Canada can't fix all the deficiencies but the answer isn't to do nothing. (We've been trying that and it's not working). It's time for Cricket Canada to announce their priorities and show their plans. But they don't because clearly there are none.

I suspect the "First Class League" has been 3-4 years away for some time now (saw reference to this in 2011 CC Strategic Plan). It the past, much of this planning was pie-in-the-sky because of lack of funding. However, with the arrival of GT20 that is no longer an excuse. There is some money to do some things. Why we still don't see action is a question many would like to see answered in these interviews.

JSMunn
Site Admin

Post by JSMunn » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:52 pm

There are plans.
See https://cricketcanada.org/strategic-plan

This is very similar to the 2011 plan and promises all sorts of things. The problem is lack of ability to actually carry out the plans. There are many reasons, including mostly lack of money and resources, and the fact the plans are unrealistic - overly ambitious.

this is the final year of this plan, and I suspect only a small part of the lan has been effectively implemented.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Sports Trends interview with Mohammed Shaikh (Director Cricket Canada responsible for Junior cricket) and Farooq Kirmani
(Head Coach U19 Cricket Team) regarding recent participation in 2020 U19 WC South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9R2moAve9U

M Sheik:
On U19 WC and U19 programs
* Canada has been the top Associate team in the past two tournaments.(??)
* 95 players have represented Canada at U19 World Cups. 22 of them have gone on to play in the Senior Team.
* Alberta and B.C. junior programs are getting bigger. Greater numbers from those provinces can be expected in the future.

On GT20
* Very important to discussion of development.
* Example given of bringing non-cricket friends to GT20 who really enjoyed the experience.
* Many cricket fans still not aware of tournament.
* There will be 6 Canadians in each of the GT20 teams for 2020.
* Women’s exhibition match to be played during GT20.

On graduation to Senior NT
* CC trying to bring in corporate sponsorship.
* New campaign to seek employer for NT members who will be sympathetic to time off for international cricket.
* CC trying to create development structure (i.e. Development team).
* CC will add some of the U19 graduates to its practice squad.

On limitations of ICC funding
* Until "recently", Associates were required to pay a participation fee to play Americas tournaments.
* For ICC tournaments, ICC only pays flights, accommodations for 16 players and staff. Per diems, player allowances, pre-tour, etc. Must be borne by the countries.
* Example given that Canada were planning to visit USA: $86,000 for two week tour.

Other
* CC hopeful of having 3rd round of Challenge League played in Canada.
* CC want to revive Auty Cup.

F. Kirmani :
* Canadian players are very talented but lack the support and preparation of the big nations.
* Funding is needed for more specialized support staff.
* U15 and U19 teams need experience on turf wicket.
* Canada Cup U19 coming up this summer in Ontario.

My thoughts:
This interview was very informative with regard to ICC requirements.
Employment of NT members in lieu of funding may be a useful alternative for corporate sponsors.
The example of non-cricket fans enjoying GT20 shows how important it is to market the tournament to both cricket fans and those unfamiliar with the game.
Canada #1 Associate Nation @ U19 WC ?? umm... Scotland finished ahead of us.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

I haven't listened to this interview yet but I will. My initial reactions are:

Many cricket fans are not aware of the GT20? Hog...wash! Many cricket fans don't care maybe.

The u15s need more practice on turf?
No. The u15s need more games and more long games.
The T&DCA has lots of youth cricket, middle school and high school tournaments, girls leagues etc. but the rest of the country don't. And players need more games. In India, some teenagers play 80-100 games a year. I don't think we should worry too much about turf pitches but about more infrastructure altogether and more all-star games ie intercity and interprovincial. I guess New Zealand is going away from representative teams to focus on fun and development to shore up drops in participation.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:20 pm

Also, one woman's match? With the Commonwealth Games coming, the women's program needs to be ramped up a bit. The women should have a tournament of their own.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:32 am

^ Time grows short for 2022 Commonwealth Games qualification and I've yet to see any mention of the tournament from ICC or Cricket Canada. I have the unfortunate suspicion this first edition will be a Full Member-only affair. West Indies might have to hold a qualification to see which country represents the region but that might be it. If this is the case it will not allow CC to access any additional Sport Canada funding for the women.

There seems to be a large demand for SportsTrends and CC to do a show answering questions about women's cricket. Hopefully the Commonwealth Games is one of the subjects addressed.