Canadian overseas players

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Canadian overseas players

Post by ray » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 am

For lack of a better title ...
"News about Canadians playing professionally in this new era of T20 franchises everywhere ... however long that will last"

Emerging cricket reporting 3 Canadians selected for inaugural Qatar T10:
https://www.emergingcricket.com/news/no ... completed/
Canada (3): Hamandep Singh (Flying Oryx), Ravinder Singh (Swift Gallopers), Saad bin Zafar (Falcon Hunters)

A "Harmandeep Singh" represented Canada at the recently concluded CWI Super 50 returning unremarkable bowling figures.
Not sure whether "Ravinder Singh" is supposed to be Ravinderpal Singh. I saw "Bhupinder Singh" named in one purported draft list and "Sana Kaleem" in a YouTube video. So it's anyone's guess.

Also you never know whether these events will actually start or run to completion.
Last edited by ray on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Victorian

Re: Canadian overseas pros

Post by Victorian » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Good for them and, actually, the experience should help them. I hope they get paid. With plenty of 1st class cricket on youtube, I, at least, won't be following too closely. The official website calls it "cricketainment" :shock:

Colbygut

Post by Colbygut » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:25 am

They'll probably get paid, but I doubt they'll improve their game. Maybe I'm wrong.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:21 pm

OK, OK, I couldn't resist checking out the stats. Ravi Singh has 22 runs, H. Singh (ie Harmandeep) has 13 runs and 1 wicket, and Saad bin Zafar has 2 wickets and a 0*. They're all playing!

ray

Post by ray » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Yes, all playing. Saad bin Zafar and Ravinderpal Singh had established a track record (albeit a short one in the case of Singh). What is surprising is that Harmandeep Singh managed to get this gig with no more than a few List A's on his resumé. It should be encouragement for younger players. If you play well (and even not so well) for Canada you may wind up on the radar of any number of small league franchises. From there you have to be willing to travel and play for a very modest sum. However, it is becoming possible to think about playing professionally, at least while you are young.

As for learning from the experience, of the Canadian trio H. Singh appears to be the youngest at 29. At this stage they will not be able to improve themselves a great deal. Instead, they are enjoying a taste of professional cricket while it lasts - probably something they never thought would be possible.

ray

Post by ray » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:00 pm

The Canadians involved in QT10 ended up playing all the matches for their respective teams. They'll be hoping it leads to further opportunities.

Unfortunately, the tournament itself was not free of concerns : https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... t10-league
So apart from worrying about playing well and getting paid, players have to be alert for approaches from match fixers.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:41 am

USA's Minor League Cricket (starting 2021) has attracted at least a couple of Canadian national team members:
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/1 ... rnationals
The squad announcement revealed players with previous international experience with teams such as the West Indies, Pakistan, South Africa, Canada and UAE. The more prominent names of the list include Narsingh Deonarine (WI), Chanderpaul Hemraj (WI), Shaun Findlay (WI), Najaf Shah (Pakistan), Nikhil Dutta (Canada) and Saad Zafar (Canada). Current USA internationals Xavier Marshall and Rusty Theron who have represented the West Indies and South Africa respectively in the past have also been drafted in.
I wonder how many others (Nitish Kumar) entered their names but were not picked.

Update:
Squads to date:
https://www.usacricket.org/media-releas ... -selected/

On quick perusal, in addition to Dutta and bin Zafar, there is a "Kaleem Sana" listed in the Irving Mustangs squad. Also, at least 5 teams have not been named yet.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:32 am

Are they living in the states? If not, gonna be an expensive
commute to games...not to mention quarantine issues. :?: :?:

ray

Post by ray » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Add Nitish Kumar (Michigan Stars) and Rizwan Cheema (Chicago Catchers ... uhh, seriously? ) to the list of Minor League Cricketers.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:50 pm

According to Cricket Canada Facebook, Ravinderpal Singh will play for Colombo Kings of the Lanka Premier League. Due to start November 21st.