Canadian domestic cricket

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
ray

Canadian domestic cricket

Post by ray » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 am

National T20 Championship playing the week of July 11th. A chance to unearth some new talent. Though, do we have a national coach in place yet?
All 10 provincial teams participating
Group 1: BC, Quebec, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, N&L
Group 2: Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, PEI

Notables
Ontario: Navneet Dhaliwal, Saad bin Zafar, HarshThaker, Rayyan Khan Pathan, Dillon Heyliger, Jeremy Gordon, Salman Nazar, Akhil Kumar (2020 U19)
BC: Ravinderpal Singh, Aaron Johnson
Alberta: Kanwar Mann, Hamza Tariq, Rommel Shahzad, Matthew Spoors
Quebec: Shreyas Movva
Last edited by ray on Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ray

Re: 2022 domestic cricket

Post by ray » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:07 pm

National T20 has been a worthwhile exercise with several players putting themselves in the picture for the national pool. There is considerably more talent in the smaller provinces than even a few years ago. So much so, the Nova Scotia made it to the semi-finals.

With the success of this venture the questions must now be :
Can Cricket Canada afford to run this more ambitious program (HP Leagues, National T20, National 50 over) on an annual basis ?
How will identified talent from outside the Greater Toronto Area be developed to an international standard ?

I'll give CC credit for what they have accomplished this year but they must continue on for it to pay off.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:11 am

Matthew Nandu, Joshua da Silva(!) and Nicholas Kirton have played in the TDCA this season! Nandu has an avg of 40, Kirton an avg of 24 and da Silva and avg of 30. Maybe not all this season?

ray

Post by ray » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Seems da Silva played in Toronto in 2019. Interesting ... hopefully it indicates some interest in representing Canada later in his career. Kirton probably came in part to revive his international career ... and has been successful in that effort.

ray

Re: 2023 domestic cricket

Post by ray » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:02 pm

2023 National T20 Championship

Notables:
Ontario: Rayyan Pathan, Harsh Thaker, Rizwan Cheema, Saad Bin Zafar, Dilon Heyliger, Nikhil Dutta
Alberta: Hamza Tariq, Rommel Shahzad
B.C.: Pargat Singh, Kaleem Sana Ur Rehman, Bhupinder Singh
Quebec: Shreyas Movva

Why is Rizwan Cheema still being selected ? Are there no other deserving T20 prospects ?

Victorian

Re: Canadian domestic cricket

Post by Victorian » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:18 am

I watched BC thrash NB and also a bit of QB v NL. I think maybe a combined Atlantic team might be the way to go to get a better standard. I wish there had been regional tournaments for both the men and women leading to selection for the National tournament.

ray

Re: Canadian domestic cricket

Post by ray » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:02 am

^ I agree on Atlantic combined team. Other possible changes might be a second Ontario team or a Canada U25 as there don't seem to be many recent U19 graduates playing.

Around 20 years ago, an annual inter-provincial competition was a requirement to obtain a base level of Sport Canada funding. The current format of the National T20 could be a way to satisfy that requirement. Unfortunately, it's appears Sport Canada no longer makes their National Sport Organization funding criteria public.