Canada @ 2024-6 CWC League 2

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
Victorian

Re: Canada @ 2024-6 CWC League 2

Post by Victorian » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:50 am

Dhaliwal led the series in runs scored. Maybe he should open and bat Johnson at 7-8

ray

Post by ray » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:14 pm

Canada apparently playing a final warm-up match Feb 25th against UAE Falcons prior to starting League 2.

Scotland has lost their first warm-up against the same Falcons team.

===========================================
Edit: Canada XV win warm-up match by 5 wkts, Thaker and Movva starring with the bat and Heyliger the bowling standout.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:07 am

From cricinfo -

“This is where it gets tricky. Namibia are part of World Cup Cricket League 2, an eight-team competition that runs over the next three years. The teams that finish in the top four of that competition will go through to the World Cup Qualifier.

The remaining four will be involved in a playoff tournament with the top two teams from the Challenge League, essentially the third division. These teams will then play a mini-tournament called the World Cup Qualifier Playoff (format to be determined) and the top four will advance to the World Cup Qualifier, from which four teams will advance in turn to the World Cup. That means teams in League 2 have two opportunities to get to the qualifier while also opening up the possibility that a team lower down could earn a place at the main event.”

So in plain english, Canada, who will finish at or near the bottom of League 2, will be in a playoff tournament to try to qualify for the WC qualifier. They have a very good chance for that.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:35 am

Ammar Khalid making his ODI debut and opening the bowling. Canada’s only wicket do far is a horrendous runout like I haven’t seen since the u12s. Wijeyeratne keeping but Movva is in the XI. I guess they have to go with their best eleven players no matter what.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:43 am

Absolutely nobody at the game and this is the UAE playing in Dubai.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:54 am

Good debut win for Canada in League 2!

Everyone bowled pretty well to keep UAE under 200. Pleasing to see Sana able to take wickets at this level. Canada recovered well after losing some big bats from the top order. Their resilience with 6 down and 60 odd runs still needed, is encouraging. This is the opponent that comfortably put them out of the WC chase at the Qualifier Playoff last year so it was a major turn-around to win in UAE. UAE's lack of recent activity and Canada preparation tour played a role in the win. It will get tougher when other sides get some games in.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 pm

Canada is going to the World Cup! :)
Maybe a little early for that but I am genuinely shocked. I’ve been thinking that the UAE aren’t as good as they used to be but then the Emerging Cricket guys feel that they ARE really good so I figured I must be wrong.
Ray is right in that Canada will get better by playing this level of competition but then, of course, so will everybody else.
Will Kirton play his way back into the Barbados team? He can say to the selectors “Hey, I’m hitting ODI 50s”.

ray

Post by ray » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:24 am

Wow. Unexpected early success for Canadians in League 2 and against the reigning "champions" of the previous competition. Scotland will be a strong team but they are a month behind Canada in preparation.

In the end, a comprehensive victory for Canada, restricting the Scots to 215 and easily surpassing the total for the loss of only 3 wickets and with 9 overs to spare. For Canada, unheard of! :D .

Great results from the top order bats. And it seems Nicholas Kirton is making his case to be called an all-rounder.

Congrats to the players and coach. Let's keep it going!

Edit: Oh, and we're on the ICC's ODI ranking table.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:11 pm

I’m shocked SHOCKED! After this no one can see Canada as a soft touch. The other teams will, however, do homework and professional coaches, players and analysts will figure out plans for Canada.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:01 am

Captain Saad I think said Sana is injured. Bhagwan is in and that’s the only change.