Re: development

Post by timmyj51 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:52 am

This Minor League Cricket hasn't done anything in its two years
to raise the profile of cricket in the states. Next to no chance
it will north of the border.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:00 am

Listening to the Big Innings podcast some interesting things.

Having 16-17 yr old girls playing with u15 boys. Great idea! But is there even such a thing as a u15 boys program in Canada? Or girls?

Players (plural) had to decide between playing the USA national u17 championship and playing in Minor League Cricket! 16 yr olds in MiLC? Canada national players were in that comp.

USAC AGM talking about the Auti Cup and a women’s Auti Cup but they always do so….

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 am

I've listened to the podcast called Big Innings and it's so far been good. It's not yet been totally about the details of USA cricket about which I don't care. They have a podcast with a top umpire and he says the USA umpire association is not going to officiate at the US Open because they won't pay enough or cover travel expenses. I think CC does not even have an Association of Cricket Officials which I think the ICC wants Associates to have. I know of an umpire who has paid his own way to major domestic tournaments and I also have paid my own travel to provincial tournaments as a scorer. Again, CC is going to have to keep up with best practices as an ODI country ie pay properly to have the best officials possible at national level tournaments.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:13 pm

Are you following the u19 WC? Canada u19 and USA u19 are about equal I would say. USA got thumped by Ireland and Ireland got thumped by India. CC, with more funding now, need to step up the age group programs across the country.

timmyj51

Post by timmyj51 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:40 am

USA 19, Canada 19 "about equal"? Well, yeah....equally lousy! :D :D

ray

Post by ray » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:42 am

^^ I'm wondering whether there is additional money for development that comes with playing in CWC League 2. Obviously, the ICC provides money for central contracts and covers travel/accommodation for League 2 and perhaps the head coach's salary (?). But is there anything additional for new development programs ?

What Cricket Canada can do is reallocate their annual GT20 fees toward programs other than the men (who are now largely funded by the ICC). Programs for women, youth and maybe pool of men's 'A' players are needed and should be expected by anyone concerned with Canada's future at the international level.

ray

Post by ray » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:47 pm

Well, it appears you are right, Victorian. CC is forming a pool of established players (Pool A) and a pool of emerging players (Pool B) selected by provincial selectors. The national selectors will draw from the two pools to choose the Canada 'A' squad. From there, players can move up to the national team. Development pathway established.

Time will tell how well it works and how long Canada can remain in the top tier of Associates to help pay for it.