Canadian Women's cricket

For discussion of all aspects of Canadian cricket
timmyj51

Re: Canadian Women's cricket

Post by timmyj51 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:27 pm

If he/she singlehandedly knocks "Team USA" out of the qualifier there sure will be push back!

LeScotsman

Post by LeScotsman » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:34 am

I think it's wonderful a transgender person can play cricket, and should feel welcome to play, it should be for everyone, but looking at the science and regulations of other elite sports - rugby, tennis, swimming, athletics, cycling, etc, where fairness has been exhaustively researched and legislated for - I don't think it's fair that someone who has spent 27 years growing as a man before transitioning, with all the benefits of puberty, larger skeleton, muscle mass, larger lung capacity, and without any of the challenges of menstruation, should be able to play in an international women's team. Taking medication to reduce testosterone does not remove all the male advantages in sport, and this as the entry barrier (along with a letter of self identification) would not be accepted in many other sports. Canada and the ICC are behind the ball here.

There is a trade-off in inclusion. I am a huge fan of inclusion but when it comes to international sports, age-based sports or women’s sport, there have to be limits, or it ceases to be. If you include someone who has, as a fully grown man, transitioned to being a transgender woman, then this is likely (and has in this case) led to the exclusion of someone born, and who has spent their whole life, as a woman, who made many sacrifices to get in that team, and whose opportunities, like most women in cricket, have been severely limited. On top of that, it can be no fun for the opposition, in these fledgling women's associate teams, to be flayed around the park (73 off 42 balls vs Brazil) by someone with vastly superior strength.

It's a personal view, so it's not a fact, and I fully support someone's right to transition, and their right to play cricket (I would happily play with them), but I believe there is a huge difference in someone transitioning before puberty and transitioning as a 27-year-old, and that (in my non-qualified opinion - and I'm open to evidence-based persuasion either way) they should probably be playing mixed club cricket and trying out for the men's (or mixed) national team.

Without science backed boundaries to protect fairness and balance inclusion, it is not out of the question, these minor international women's teams will start having 2/3 players who were born and grew up as men and where will that leave the people born as women? Do we go for inclusion or fairness? It's not possible to have both. None of this imparts any blame on transgender players. At the end of the day, we want everybody to play.
Last edited by LeScotsman on Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ray

Post by ray » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:05 pm

^ Well said!

Its nice that international cricket (well known to be conservative) has taken an inclusive stance on the subject but it will eventually have to bend to certain realities to preserve the spirit of competition in the women's game. Sport and society are still coming to grips with "transitioning" so it will take time to work it through.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:33 am

Canada squad:
Divya Saxena (Captain)
Mannat Hundal
Amarpal Kaur
Nicole Gallagher
Achini Perera
Rabbjyot Rajput
Danielle McGahey
Rhea Misra
Habeeba Bader
Sana Zafar
Hainat Qazi
Saniyah Zia
Krima Kapadia
Vijayani Vithanage

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:26 pm

The games are being streamed on icc.tv. Nothing on cricinfo but they have women’s scores from everywhere else in the world!

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:52 pm

Canada waxed Brazil by 53 runs. BTW, nothing notable from McGahey.

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:24 pm

USA smoked Argentina and Canada plays Argentina on Tuesday. Looks like the comp comes down to USA v Canada. Here I am being overconfident again :P

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:21 pm

https://www.sportskeeda.com/live-cricke ... ember-2023

It seems the best place for up to the minute information is Wikipedia!

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:55 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/202 ... t20-debut/

Key takeaway for me - “ ICC Americas officials allowed the media no interviews with anyone. Only the commentators for ICC’s online stream were allowed to speak to the players”

Victorian

Post by Victorian » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:39 pm

I wonder how Brazil beat Canada a couple of years ago. They are not competitive now. Some good fielding by Brazil though. Control what you can control.